1,000 inmates escape from Afghan prison

It seems that a suicide bomber was able to destroy the gates that led to a mass exodus from the prison.

Security lapse, excellent tactics, or did Terry get lucky ?

Doug Schmidt, Canwest News Service
Published: 7:08 pm

KANDAHAR CITY, Afghanistan - Canadian soldiers joined allied and Afghan national security forces in a sweeping door-to-door urban hunt for hundreds of escaped prisoners Friday after the Taliban staged a daring mass breakout at Kandahar City's Sarposa Prison.

A suicide bomber drove to the prison's main entrance and detonated his vehicle Friday around 9:30 p.m. local time.

The massive explosion, heard across the Afghanistan's second-largest city, destroyed the gate and a police checkpoint, burying guards under rubble and killing scores.

Witnesses said as many as 30 motorcycles then raced forward, carrying armed men firing rocket-propelled grenades, machine guns and AK-47s. A second hole was blasted in a rear wall of the prison, the largest such facility in southern Afghanistan.

During the ensuing 20-minute battle inside the prison and in the city's west side, hundreds of prisoners were able to flee.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=6e488878-4df4-4b13-95d9-32bf48c263e4

I don't know why they just didn't wait to be let out on the early release programme.....opps sory it's afghanistan not the UK.

My bad.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Witnesses said as many as 30 motorcycles then raced forward, carrying armed men firing rocket-propelled grenades, machine guns and AK-47s. A second hole was blasted in a rear wall of the prison, the largest such facility in southern Afghanistan.
If Carlsberg did break-outs . . .

Another black eye for the Mayor of Kabul then.....he must be about as popular as Cyclops!

A well planned and daring raid. If the Taliban can field a platoon in Kabul, the security of the capital is very much in question.

yesitsme said:
unbelievable ...

the mayor should explain this to the families of those soldiers who died arresting the bastards in the first place Mad
So how would you have stopped it happening then?

Kandahar is home turf for the Taliban.

The words of Brigadier Carleton-Smith are already sounding hollow. This was a sophisticated and audacious attack which has freed 400 militants. I hope his comments are not representative of a leadership that is underestimating the ability of the enemy to fight back.

"Kandahar was the Taliban's former stronghold and its province has been the scene of fierce fighting the past two years between insurgents and Nato troops, primarily from Canada and the US.

The prison attack came just a few hours after US defence secretary Robert Gates told his counterparts in Europe that Nato members needed to bolster their military effort in Afghanistan, where violence has been escalating.

Dramatising his report, Mr Gates said for the first time, the monthly total of American and allied combat deaths in Afghanistan had exceeded the toll in Iraq during May."

Canadians are threatening to pullout from Kandahar. I assume a British pullout from Iraq will be closely followed by a reinforcement order for troops to be sent to Afg. I fail to see how we are going to sustain the intensity of this war over a period of years with little or no support from Europe. The will does not exist among our european "partners" to help out in the most dangerous areas. The words of Milliband simply do not ring true. Europeans are not interested in this war, it does not, to them, represent the front line.

Oh dear, what a mess.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
5 Paras killed and at least 1 critically injured, a battle group CO badly injured enough to be flown abck to the UK and now a prison stormed and round 350 militants- many of them leaders- back into circulation. This has been a very, VERY bad week for the good guys.

Trans-sane said:
5 Paras killed and at least 1 critically injured, a battle group CO badly injured enough to be flown abck to the UK and now a prison stormed and round 350 militants- many of them leaders- back into circulation. This has been a very, VERY bad week for the good guys.
Seconded. But did anyone here seriously think we had the Taliban on the ropes? The phrase "tougher than a New York cockroach" comes to mind... :roll:

thebatoneffect said:
spaz said:
yesitsme said:
unbelievable ...

the mayor should explain this to the families of those soldiers who died arresting the bastards in the first place Mad
Take no prisoners? Execute them all for a year. Worth a try

could think of worse solutions - so why not :D

I think in some ways it's a good sign.

If you're desperate enough to stage a prison break it's cause you don't have the authorities in your back pocket to get them out another way and you really need the key figures out that are important to the cause.

Given the pick up in matyr style attacks, I doubt it's purely about terry needing more flipflops on the ground.

YesItsMe said:
thebatoneffect said:
spaz said:
yesitsme said:
unbelievable ...

Take no prisoners? Execute them all for a year. Worth a try

could think of worse solutions - so why not :D
Maybe get all historical and bury them wrapped in pig skins

Latest Threads