1,000 inmates escape from Afghan prison

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Spank-it, Jun 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that a suicide bomber was able to destroy the gates that led to a mass exodus from the prison.

Security lapse, excellent tactics, or did Terry get lucky ?

2. I don't know why they just didn't wait to be let out on the early release programme.....opps sory it's afghanistan not the UK.

My bad.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If Carlsberg did break-outs . . .
  4. Another black eye for the Mayor of Kabul then.....he must be about as popular as Cyclops!
  5. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

unbelievable ...

the mayor should explain this to the families of those soldiers who died arresting the bastards in the first place :x
  6. credit where credit's due though ;)
  7. A well planned and daring raid. If the Taliban can field a platoon in Kabul, the security of the capital is very much in question.
  8. So how would you have stopped it happening then?
  9. Except it wasn't in Kabul, it was in Kandahar...
  10. Kandahar is home turf for the Taliban.

The words of Brigadier Carleton-Smith are already sounding hollow. This was a sophisticated and audacious attack which has freed 400 militants. I hope his comments are not representative of a leadership that is underestimating the ability of the enemy to fight back.

"Kandahar was the Taliban's former stronghold and its province has been the scene of fierce fighting the past two years between insurgents and Nato troops, primarily from Canada and the US.

The prison attack came just a few hours after US defence secretary Robert Gates told his counterparts in Europe that Nato members needed to bolster their military effort in Afghanistan, where violence has been escalating.

Dramatising his report, Mr Gates said for the first time, the monthly total of American and allied combat deaths in Afghanistan had exceeded the toll in Iraq during May."

Canadians are threatening to pullout from Kandahar. I assume a British pullout from Iraq will be closely followed by a reinforcement order for troops to be sent to Afg. I fail to see how we are going to sustain the intensity of this war over a period of years with little or no support from Europe. The will does not exist among our european "partners" to help out in the most dangerous areas. The words of Milliband simply do not ring true. Europeans are not interested in this war, it does not, to them, represent the front line.

Oh dear, what a mess.
  11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

5 Paras killed and at least 1 critically injured, a battle group CO badly injured enough to be flown abck to the UK and now a prison stormed and round 350 militants- many of them leaders- back into circulation. This has been a very, VERY bad week for the good guys.
  12. Seconded. But did anyone here seriously think we had the Taliban on the ropes? The phrase "tougher than a New York cockroach" comes to mind... :roll:
  13. Take no prisoners? Execute them all for a year. Worth a try
  14. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

could think of worse solutions - so why not :D
  15. I think in some ways it's a good sign.

If you're desperate enough to stage a prison break it's cause you don't have the authorities in your back pocket to get them out another way and you really need the key figures out that are important to the cause.

Given the pick up in matyr style attacks, I doubt it's purely about terry needing more flipflops on the ground.