0ne in Three Provos was a British Agent....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Feb 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The third force
    'One in three Provos was a British agent.

29 January 2006
    UP to 30pc of the IRA's membership were on the payroll of British Intelligence.

That's the startling claim made by intelligence expert and author Nigel West.

West - the former Tory MP Rupert Allason - suggests that, in the run-up to the IRA's 1994 ceasefire and the peace process that followed, a staggering one-in-three Provos was working for the British.

West claims they were being controlled by the shadowy intelligence unit the Joint Services Group (JSG) and its forerunner, the Force Research Unit (FRU).

The claim of 30pc penetration of the IRA is made in West's new book, which reveals the secret stories of his A-to-Z of espionage.

In a reference to the Joint Services Group, West claims: "This organisation played a big role in the penetration and elimination of the Provisional IRA.

"By the time the peace process has been initiated, it was estimated that up to 30pc of the Provisionals' membership were on the British payroll."

Throughout the Troubles, the republican movement was plagued by agents working for the Security Services while also being card-carrying members of the IRA and Sinn Fein.

They included:

• Eamon Collins - a former IRA man who was battered to death in Newry in January 1999;

• Gregory Burns, John Dignam and Aidan Starrs - murdered and dumped by the roadside in south Armagh in July 1992, and, most recently;

• Denis Donaldson - Sinn Fein's head of administration at Stormont who was unmasked before Christmas.

• West's Historical Dictionary of British Intelligence is published by the Scarecrow Press. (£45. Hardback)

Link to the story;

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=677366

2. I know Nigel West through a matter that he helped me on. This guy dose not pull such information out of a hat, he certainly has standing in the Intel circles.

3. Waterstones sell the book for only£30!!

4. But it has to be taken in the knowledge that West will publish anything that would be believed but is still sensational enough to sell his books.

Pinch of salt required, although it would be nice if it was true. Then you have to ask, if there was that much infiltration into the Provos, why didn't the security services have them all wrapped up before BLiar decided to cave in, roll over and give up?

5. If this is true - it only shows how inept we were in not bringing them down, which is why I have my doubts

6. :lol:

7. Does he? Oh.

8. Totally agree P_P. There's only two things that smell like fish and the second one's fish. If true maybe it was a fiendish plan by the IRA to sustain a level of income. British intel, a cash cow? Narrrrrrrrr.

9. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

I vaguely know Mr West (Rupert), as he shagged my mates girlfriend some years ago (so not too popular with that particular mate!) He likes sensationalism to sell his books, but his research is usually OK.

I suspect a little exagerration here though, otherwise why would most of the 'Hot Int' that I ever received in the province be such abject bollox!

10. JSG = "Joint Services Group" ?

11. shush. he doesn't just pull his information out of a hat you know, it must be correct.

besides, he has standing in intelligence circles :lol:

he's standing in crop circles more like.

12. you forgot to touch the side of your nose when you said that, IJ...

13. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dont doubt for a second that the info must be spot on; especially when you look at the clowns who were running them all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, green slime and the proppa spooks plus SB plus five-oh plus RUC plus the people you really dont hear about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not one of those organisations would share any information (especially on the grounds it may save life) between each other so for me it has to be true,,,,,,,,,,

I remember in the Mess in Lisburn, a 'slime (SNCO) removing the Observer 4 page spread on FRU from the Mess ante-room as it shouldnt be made public nor should Mess Members be appraised of the unit as it was classified ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you just couldnt make it up could you. Swop info on terrorists? Not In My Back Yard,,,,,,

14. Makes you wonder who planted all those f ookin bombs, if a third of the 'Ra were working for "us". So by the law of averages which one out of Bobby Sands, Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams was on the payroll?