0630 this morning, British Forces leave Sangin

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Dragstrip, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No replies...can anyone expand on this story or say what they think?

2. Err thank **** for that springs to mind.

3. Agreed.

(10 letter minimum fulfilled)

4. Good analysis of the mission and objectives provided in the video.

Amen to that! This gives some idea of their under-reported achievements:

Royal Marine witnesses progress in Sangin

5. Seconded.

Unfortunately, the insurgents will present this as the Basra Mark II

6. About bloody time.

7. All those who have served there. Well done, good job and crack on doing it to the taliban elswhere. Those who didn't come back. Rest in peace and you will always be remembered by your family, friends and the rest of us who, although we wish it had not happened, do value your memory because you paid with your lives for us.

8. What is the reason for the pull out though?

The kind of things I have picked up from other threads are that the British Army, Royal Marines etc have not lost any of their professionalism, the ability to perform to the highest standards in the most difficult of standards, but that the government and the higher echelons of the Defence Council have failed to evolve COIN out there. The result of which is that the US don’t perceive the British are doing what is required. Is that what is happening here? I don’t have an opinion and am trying to get enough information to form one.

One thing is for sure, rest in peace all those that have given their lives there.

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I've been waiting for the inevitable bite -

Plenty of coverage of the MoD official line out there.eg LINKY

10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I am delighted that our people are out of there.
    I have little expectation that the US will do better, but that's high-level stuff.

As rgjbloke said in different words ...
    God Bless The Fallen, and congratulations for an awesome effort to all those who served there.

Come home safe, everyone who is still out there.

11. In brief, to allow a greater concentration of British forces in central Helmand province.

12. Nice sentiment,totally agree.Local comment was "Worried because Brits were too nice to fire at Taliban in case they hit innocent civilians-USA don't care"!!

13. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

A positive appraisal of the British Army's effort in Sangin by Michael Williams in the Guardian: How the British presence in Sangin restored trust in government | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I am so very proud to have served there as a combat Infantryman and proud too of all we achieved in that place. Sometimes I read all the negative, defeatist posts on this forum about our war in Afghanistan and it just depresses me. I'm glad that there is at least someone else on this planet who thinks we did good things there and that our friends didn't die and become maimed in the cause of absolutely nothing.

14. And why shouldn't they for there has been no great victory yet we are leaving. The level of corruption in The Afghan SF is on the increase and sooner or later the area will slip back in to tribal rule without foreign influence.

This (And Basrah alike) are why I think all troops should be withdrawn yesterday. There is no tactical victory that troops can achieve which will make a good enough difference. Indeed we still do not have a clear idea of why we are there. As it stands Afghanistan is a training area which is sapping money and lives keeping our soldiers operationally experienced and competant for when the future campaign arrives with a need for decisive, conventional military action. Our COIN strategy doesn't work and considering we're not changing it isn't going to start working any time soon.

Sacking it is the only sensible option really so today is a good start.

Editted to clarify: I wish I could be the optimist but the disgrace that was the handing back of Basrah opened my eyes to how these campaigns really end. I got a tiny taste of how the yanks must have felt post Vietnam. As soon as that happened I knew what was going to happen in Southern Afghanistan eventually. Its pathetic but I will cough to being one of the defeatists however I am basing it not only on our recent history (See The Peace Process in NI aswell as Basra) but also Afghanistans history with foreign invaders (Sorry Peace Keepers).

Building a bridge/school or making friends with a farmer will not, a COIN war, win.