“lead-free” bullets and rockets with reduced toxins.

#1
Watch out, Sarge! It's environmentally friendly fire

BAE SYSTEMS, one of the world’s biggest arms manufacturers, is designing a new generation of “green” munitions, including “lead-free” bullets and rockets with reduced toxins.

It also wants to cut the dangerous compounds in its jets, fighting vehicles and artillery, which it warns “can harm the environment and pose a risk to people”.

The initiative is being backed by the Ministry of Defence, which has proposed quieter warheads to reduce noise pollution and grenades that produce less smoke. There have even been experiments to see if explosives can be turned into manure.

Dr Debbie Allen, director of corporate social responsibility at BAE systems, said that although it might seem strange to have a green policy for munitions, it was important to consider the environmental impact of all products.

“Weapons are going to be used and when they are, we try to make them as safe for the user as possible, to limit the collateral damage and to impact as little as possible on the environment,” she said.

Its arsenal and environmental practices now include:

# Bullets with lower lead content because, as the company states on its website, “lead used in ammunition can harm the environment and pose a risk to people”. BAE says its plantin Radway Green, near Crewe, has been working on eliminating lead from its bullets altogether.

# Armoured vehicles with lower carbon emissions. The company is using “hybrid” engines, which can be powered by batteries as well as conventional diesel engines.

# Weaponry with fewer toxins. BAE is working to reduce Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and other hazardous, and often carcinogenic, chemicals in its products.

# Safer and sustainable artillery. The company has started manufacturing “insensitive” shell explosives at its plant in Glascoed in south Wales. They do not blow up accidentally and have an unlimited shelf life, reducing the need for disposal.




Article in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2361516,00.html
 
#2
# Bullets with lower lead content because, as the company states on its website, “lead used in ammunition can harm the environment and pose a risk to people”. BAE says its plantin Radway Green, near Crewe, has been working on eliminating lead from its bullets altogether.

Forgive me for being a thich civvy these days but when I wore the green suit wasn't that the whole point............
 
#3
570mils said:
Forgive me for being a thich civvy these days but when I wore the green suit wasn't that the whole point............
maybe then but not now - and any vile accusations that this is BAE attempting to get hold of HMG 'Green' reseach grants are a blatent lie.
 
#4
Dogface said:
armchair_jihad said:
Dr Debbie Allen, director of corporate social responsibility .....
Director of corporate social responsibility?!?
Oh yes! And there is worse, much worse, this Dogface is what Tony Bliar has done to this once Proud Country and within 12 months he will be living in yours. Then you will get to grips with why we hate him so.
 
#5
Dogface said:
We probably wouldn't get to those grips as he'll be powerless here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: poor old Dogface you have no idea what is going to happen....
 
#6
You couldn't make this crud up could you? It's Beano and Dandy stuff! I wonder if they'll develope a round or missile that travels at below the national speed limit of 70 mph (30 in town) so as not to break the Highway Code! Maybe munitions that stop at red traffic light!
 
#8
Dogface, while the thought of Blair and Bush spit roasting the WMF turns my stomache, I don't mind, while Cheri is 2/3 airtight they can't make any bad political decisions...

In fact, if Cheri's secret mission is to save the world then she'd do us all a favour by skillfully holding them both off at the vinegar stroke for a couple of years...
 
#9
Dogface Tony Bliar is welded to the NEO CONS, they love him because he can actually talk to the press and people, articulating their darkest thoughts without looking like a parody. Opinion polls have put him at being the one Politian ALL Americans regard highly. With Tony being offered honorary US Citizenship (Christian Science Monitor) & Arnie having had the Federal Law changed concerning the Foreign born holding office….

The only way to save America is for you to strap on every gun you own and next time Tony steps on US soil you should ‘do’ him. It’s a one way ride, but future generations of Americans will thank you and on ARRSE you will be a legend, your grave regularly drowned in tributes of the finest Ale, Whisky and Wine . Probably the majority of Kids born in the UK for years will be named after you…
 
#11
Dogface said:
Trenchcoat_Warrior said:
Dogface said:
armchair_jihad said:
Dogface said:
We probably wouldn't get to those grips as he'll be powerless here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: poor old Dogface you have no idea what is going to happen....
Blair can do nothing here except attempt to influence the already looney left.
You forget, he is in bed with GWB.

Which gives him not one bit of power to exercise in the USA.
FFS please Dogface, FFS get a sense of humour injection or bugger off FFS. :x FFS everything is so logical with you FFS. BTW, Blair is not really in bed with GWB LITERALLY FFS!!!! So no need to reply to it so sincerely FFS. FFS you're like Doctor Spok, beam yourself up FFS. FFS FFS.
 
#12
Dogface said:
It ain't "federal law" that would need changing, it's the Constitution. Blair has absolutely no power which he can exercise in the US.
This my freind may be tru right now but in a year or so it will be different, he's very Ambitious is Tony.

Dogface said:
Why can't you just act on your own words rather than hoping someone else will fulfill for you what you want?
Because he is now your problem and I was offering sound advice, he's finished Politically in the UK and it is wonderful to see him twisting in the wind.
 
#14
Being a bit of an environmental person I think it's a brilliant idea. Think of the amount of ammo used in training, the lead from those bullets is a substantial amount that can become concentrated, poisoning training areas.
As long as the technology doesn't decrease the effectiveness of the weaponry surely it can only be a good thing? Also although you may not consider the carcinogenic effect of firing a LAW when you've got rounds coming from up range, when you're having your lungs taken out at 50 you might.
 
#15
crabby said:
Being a bit of an environmental person I think it's a brilliant idea. Think of the amount of ammo used in training, the lead from those bullets is a substantial amount that can become concentrated, poisoning training areas.
As long as the technology doesn't decrease the effectiveness of the weaponry surely it can only be a good thing? Also although you may not consider the carcinogenic effect of firing a LAW when you've got rounds coming from up range, when you're having your lungs taken out at 50 you might.
To be honest yes it is not a bad idea, there is no really need for the stuff to be as dirty as it is. Especially as it could impact on Squaddies health many years hence.
 
#16
armchair_jihad said:
crabby said:
Being a bit of an environmental person I think it's a brilliant idea. Think of the amount of ammo used in training, the lead from those bullets is a substantial amount that can become concentrated, poisoning training areas.
As long as the technology doesn't decrease the effectiveness of the weaponry surely it can only be a good thing? Also although you may not consider the carcinogenic effect of firing a LAW when you've got rounds coming from up range, when you're having your lungs taken out at 50 you might.
To be honest yes it is not a bad idea, there is no really need for the stuff to be as dirty as it is. Especially as it could impact on Squaddies health many years hence.
We all complain about the nanny state and political correctness but this is how it all starts. A couple of do-gooders chatting over a pint with nothing better to do.
 
#17
doomandgloom said:
armchair_jihad said:
crabby said:
Being a bit of an environmental person I think it's a brilliant idea. Think of the amount of ammo used in training, the lead from those bullets is a substantial amount that can become concentrated, poisoning training areas.
As long as the technology doesn't decrease the effectiveness of the weaponry surely it can only be a good thing? Also although you may not consider the carcinogenic effect of firing a LAW when you've got rounds coming from up range, when you're having your lungs taken out at 50 you might.
To be honest yes it is not a bad idea, there is no really need for the stuff to be as dirty as it is. Especially as it could impact on Squaddies health many years hence.

We all complain about the nanny state and political correctness but this is how it all starts. A couple of do-gooders chatting over a pint with nothing better to do.
Yeah but when you're 50 with lung cancer and you can blame the sh*te they used as rocket propellant when a perfectly good alternative was available you'll be blaming HMG/MoD.

The state should not intentionally put someone's health at risk... in theory. So all you lads in sandpit/ganistan hop on the next vc10 back :D

But being serious, how is it a nanny state? They're encouraging the arms manufacturer to look at greener and healthier alternatives that improve your environment and your health. Fcuk off and eat a supersized MacDonalds, then you can't complain about nanny state :D
 
#18
doomandgloom said:
We all complain about the nanny state and political correctness but this is how it all starts. A couple of do-gooders chatting over a pint with nothing better to do.
Not really Doomandgloom, with lawyers becoming increasingly present on the battlefield, this inititive would allow the MOD to be in the clear and allow future Squaddies suffering from God knows what poisoning, to set their no win no fee lawyers on the assets of the defeated foe. If they have been using traditional 'dirty' munitions that is
 
#20
doomandgloom said:
airbags in APCs next!
An Airbag type system would help survivability, also as it would have to be reinstalled fairly often the supplier would make a killing, so it is likely that the MOD would approve such a system. Plus it has nice spin potential - the MOD care so much about our Soldiers that they are all fitted with Airbags. Joe Public can understand that.
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top