’

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by armchair_jihad, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Punctuation keeps being replaced by ’

Why? and can you please stop it

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It is a problem related to the character set of the database tables. Our database was born long ago and the software has changed a lot since - the two had been 'bodged' to run together until now.

BCO spent all of yesterday trying to fix it and there is obviously something that hasn't quite worked.

We will fix it, but neither of us has permission to spend today on the site so it will have to wait until this evening or tomorrow. Sorry.

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Hmm - all seems fine to me ...... running along my keyboard:

¬`¦!"£$%^&*()_+{}[]:mad:~;'#<>?,./|\

Could you point me at a post where this is happening or what you typed in to get ’

4. This often happens whe you use the Pound sign - £.

Does that help?

5. Bad CO

I'm hoping that the changes I've made should prevent this happening any more. Legs, I note that your post has displayed the £ sign correctly - as did mine!

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It happens in my sig block. Only started yesterday though.

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

It was the apostrophes in your sig Sixty. They look fine now.

Go on BCO - back to Bank Holiday fun with the family :)

8. Bad CO

Hmm, a legacy issue I think. Probably the only option in these cases is to change them manually. Hopefully this will never need to be done again though as finally we are on UTF 8.

Sixty - I've done yours for you!

9. i used to get it when creating a poll - if you put ' or " in the options, it used to do the funny symbol thingy instead. don't know if it does any more though.

10. Bad CO

Thanks - there definitely used to be a problem with polls. I have fixed the vast majority of the titles but the options will have to stay as they are for the time being. The big plus is that there shouldn't be any more problems with the options!

11. here's another. my initial post on this thread now reads like even more gibberish than when i wrote it. if it remains like this, i am likely to get posted onto a long language course next as they will assume i like foreign languages :)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=66388.html

12. There are a few of these funny symbols in this thread, which I don't recall seeing when the posts were made.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=66549.html

It looks as if the apostrophe might be a problem.

Certo_Cito's post (4 from the bottom of first page) has lots of funny characters. I can't read German, but don't think it looked that bizarre when he posted it.

13. Bad CO

You are right, following the conversion quite a lot of symbols have become corrupt. It has always been my intention to do a find and replace but this is a massive task and will need to be done in bits ....... when I can find the time and enthusiasm!

The main thing is that from now on new posts & threads will be fine ....