£500,000 raised in six days to save Vulcan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kes1, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4948965/Air-enthusiasts-raise-500000-in-six-days-to-save-Vulcan.html

Has any other charity (disregarding events like Red Nose Day) ever managed to raise this amount in such a short time?

Awesome as that is and as much as I love flying, I can't help but feel that there are far more worthwhile charities that money could have gone to.

2. Dr Spock sends his sincere thanks.

Where's me coat?

3. Was waiting for that one :D

4. Excellent effort.

Now why can't they do the same for our wounded troops, who are far more valuable and deserving than an (albeit beautiful and historic) aircraft?

5. I beg to differ. £500,000 is a drop in the ocean when compared to the billions wasted by the banks. You have to put these figures in perspective, Half a million to save a national treasure, as opposed to the estimated £700,000,000,000 wasted by the banks. Why, there's even one getting £680,000 per year pension for overseeing the largest corporate loss in British history.

Do you see now why £500,000 is really nowt?

6. Isnt there always a better use of money depending on a persons point of view?

Perhaps its just best to leave it at 'well done everyone,mega effort' rather than bleat about how other people donate to charity.

7. Is this the air worthy vulcan thats had millions spent on it already

8. Slightly wrong analogy there I feel since I was talking about fund raising efforts not how much the Government screws up and wastes...

However, £500,000 is never "nowt" when it comes to fund raising, take a look at the charity threads here on arrse - whenever anyone says "could only give £xx" the reply is always that even a small amount makes a huge difference.

9. Fair one, and yes this is just my opinion. BTW I did say it was awesome effort and asked if any other charity had managed to raise as much in such a short time :)

10. DOCTOR Spock was the bloke who wrote the child care waffle in the 60s. MISTER Spock is the chap from Vulcan...

Chapeau, manteau? Merci. Taxi? Pour moi?

11. Brilliant!

12. I am a retard, and I have just been dry-bummed on ARRSe.
    Pedantic twat.

13. Up until last night they had £950,000 in pledges of funds. They needed to raise one million in short order.
    I've forgoten how much the hanger costs are but I'll ask a pal who involved with the Vulcan to the Sky Trust

14. Hasn't Help For Heroes raised more, in less time??