£1500 to try out army life

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Feb 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=284142006

£1500 for 7 weeks is not that much money and if it gets recruits in with the correct frame of mind then this is probably quite a cheap method. I wish it success.

I just wish that Jeff Duncan, who seems to be the current 'Rent-a-Quote' for anything about the army just now, would just shut up. His comments here are totally out of context and bollox.

Do you agree with Duncan or do you think this scheme should be given a go?

2. Awesome idea

3. msr

msr LE

It is an excellent idea. Jeff Duncan's comments are not helpful.

msr

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Agreed. They'll soon get the money back in food and accommodation charges anyway - providing, of course, the payments aren't handled by Glasgow, in which case some of them will never see it!

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Anything that helps recruiting is surely a good idea but what exactly is this? Presumably given the above quote it isn't the Recruit Selection Course, first couple of weekends & Recruits Course/Continuation Training etc all rolled into one* but rather an extended familiarisation type visit.

If there is no direct connection between applying and receiving the money (and assuming the £1500 figure is correct), it's of fairly minimal use in my opinion. £1500 certainly isn't that much compared to an average salary but it still kicks the arrse out of dole money, so why not sign up, learn map reading and the like, pocket the cash and head back to the dole office/college?

I'd agree with Jeff Duncan's first paragraph but not the second, which has little relevance to the article.

*A far better idea.

Edit: Not disparaging the whole scheme. It just seems like a wasted opportunity.

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It has to be worth a try. Also, for a normal recruit training programme of 8 weekends (at 2.5 days each), 2 weeks CIC (15 days), training nights (3 months at 1/4 day per week) plus any subsequent training equals over £1200 per recruit anyway. Start adding the travel claims in to the equation and £1500 for a trained soldier is a good deal.

Duke

Edited to add - If they are qualified to join the TA after finishing the course then it seems that it must be a basic training course. And of course, there is no compulsion on anyone finishing their TA recruit course to stay at the end either!

7. Sixty

My point exactly. Why not pay the cash and get a shiny new trained soldier rather than someone who doesn't have to give the TA a second thought after receiving their cash?

8. msr

msr LE

Because you are paying the cash and getting a shiny new trained soldier...

msr

9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

To get an idea of the value of a scheme like this, you would need to look at how much is spent on recruiting overall, divided by the number of people recruited to get a cost per soldier. Abacus or a similar recruiting guru will know the sums involved.I suspect it will be a surprisingly high figure, so this scheme may well represent good value - providing they don't spend too much promoting it!

10. Sixty

Oh. I'll shut up then :) The article did suggest it was just a confidence building type thingy. If they have to be attested and such then, yes, I agree it's superb idea.

Edit: Reply was to msr.

11. This a thorough re-working of the trial on Benbecula last year. This is a real joined up campaign supported from the top and promoted by everyone at the bottom including the RFCAs. For once it actually has all the bits of marketing in place as part of the plan.

Infor on last year's trial can be found on here and here.

12. This seems like a bloody good idea to me. The army spend millions each year promoting their good image through the OTC system and get some return for it, in the way of TA (85% of TA officers come through the OTC route) and regular officers. A 7 week intensive "Summer Camp" looks to be a good idea even if not all attendees join up, they will still promote the "Good Image" and leave with some useful skills that will help them with future employment whether they are students or the unemployed. And if they do join up that’s a bonus.