£9.2 million new police station is closed for lunch

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ukdaytona, Dec 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And so it continues, the underfunding and under staffing of essential services.....

This from my home towns local rag.....
    You paid £9.2m for the new state-of-the art police station in Grantham – but don't go there at lunchtime because it will be shut.
    The grand, glass-fronted three-storey building, which fully opened in Swingbridge Road last month, closes to the public every day between 1 and 2pm.

Police chiefs say it is because they are so under-funded and under-staffed, there is no one to cover the desk officer's lunch break.

Divisional commander Chief Supt Terry Hackett said: "At the present time I can only afford to employ one town enquiry officer on a full-time basis

http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/Your-92-million-new-police.3565767.jp

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Here in Cheshire they have asked for volunteers to 'man' rural police stations during the day. They're already closed after 6 p.m.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

How do they cope with the bloke's piss breaks - lock the door? :roll:

4. What do you think his helmet is for

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

:D

Is that called double hatting? Problem solved!

6. Am I the only one who sees the inherent contradiction in my bold above? Strikes me £9.2m would pay for a lot of coppers.

Perhaps he should have worried more about what coppers are there to do and less about where they are to do it from.

7. does that mean crime goes on lunch to? 'oi barry, stop kicking that old granny, we are on lunch in five'

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

That'll be a different Budget, sir. Capital rather than revenue, you see.

It's why so many hospitals have loads of state-of-the-art equipment and long waiting lists. No-one can affort the staff to operate it. Or has planned ahead to train them.

9. The person on the front desk is, more than likely, a memeber of the support staff.

All the police officers are probably destroying a rainforest in the back.

10. I was recently stopped and given 7 days to produce my vehicle documents at my local police station. It's a large building, and certainly not a 'police house', but when I got there, a handwritten sign on the door read 'Closed due to sickness'. This sign remained up for the remainder of the seven days, and as no other station would take my documents, I found myself in court! (where the case was thrown out, but that's beside the point.)

11. It could be underfunding, but it could also be that the policepersons work ethic is not what it might be.

12. And that's another thing, whilst we're ranting about coppers. A few years ago, they built a new police station nearby. The entrance and lobby look as though they were designed as a palace, with huge pillars, an incredibly high ceiling, marble floors and vast panes of shiny skyscraper-stylee glass.

For them to then whine about being underfunded should really raise more eyebrows than it does...

13. I doubt that coppers of any rank make those decisions. Do you know differently?

Seeing money wasted does not mean a "department" is fully funded. The "millitary" wastes billions every year, yet it is underfunded. The same goes for just about everything "managed" by politicians/civil service.

14. I wish some f*cker would waste you.

15. Thats okay. SO for 1 hour a day it should be legal to be a vigilante. Or they should declare martial law.

I'm sure if you were to park on double yellows outside they'd find time to help you with your £80 fine