£5million for MRSA - unbelievable

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Wedge_not_Sapper, Jan 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been done before - but I would like to thank you the taxpayer for giving this poor soul £5million to relieve her pain, suffering and loss of earnings. In comparison, the fact that we have young men and women of the Armed forces returning broken and/or beyond repair, whilst getting a pittance, is absolutely criminal. God forbid "Posh" Spice breaks a nail paying her rent at the local council payment office, we would have to drop a Carrier at least.

I appreciate that all those who have suffered through MRSA and related infections deserve our sympathy and support, but and a big BUT, lets have some parity when dishing out huge sums of our money. An actress who cannot work to a standard that draws the ratings cannot be on a par or above that of a young PARA Gunner (amongst many) whom can never again enjoy the standard of living expected by the majority, when awarded such a paltry sum.

It's wrong it's got to be. What say you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=509016&in_page_id=1773

2. It is not wrong. A wrong has been done to her and the law has tried to put her in the position she would have been had the wrong not been done in so far as it is possible to do so with money.

The soldier signs up knowing the risks and accepting the risks. As such, when they get injured in eg combat, they have not, without more, had any wrong done to them by the MOD.

The payouts cannot be compared because the premise is completely different. They are completely seperate issues and should not be conflated in an attempt to further the cause of the soldier.

3. Loss of earning according to what I read and precieved Loss of Earning, what ever that means

4. Leslie Ash never had Methicilin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. She had plain old bog standard antibiotic sensistive Staphylococcus Aureus. Up to 30% of us carry that up our noses and on our skin. She came into hospital with a punctured lung after "vigourous sex" with her husband and required a chest drain to be inserted. Where is the evidence that her infection was hospital acquired? The Staphylococcus Aureus could just as easily have been one of her own rather than hospital acquired. If I was the chief exec of the hospital trust that she sued I'd have fought her all the way.

5. So we can safely say that a fading actress would have earnt a fair proportion of £5M.. give it a rest will you. A typist with RSI who "signs" up to type absolutely deserves half a million. A soldier who realises the dangers incumbent of service life gets naff all. "You sor are an arrse".

Please do not reply because the premise is completely different and they are completely seperate issues and should not be conflated.

CHUMP!!

6. I do not know how they came about that calculation so I cannot comment on that. The problem with your original post is you fail to understand that the premise is different.

Are you saying that someone who joins the army doesn't realize that he is likely to be put in situations where there is an inherent risk of serious injury?

In your fantasy world, a soldier who gets injured in combat will be able to say that it is unreasonable of the government to send him into combat.

7. Why is there always double standards ,One rule for one and one rule for another .
    I know lots of people who have had both Methicilin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus and standard antibiotic sensitive Staphylococcus Aureus and they did not receive any money what so ever .

8. But were those able to carry on working as normal? if so then they will not be left 'out of pocket' by contracting the illness.

9. I didn't know making ads for Homebase was so lucrative. She was washed up years before this- that trout pout of hers didn't come from out of thin air. She knew she was on borrowed time. £5m is fcuking preposterous.

10. how fekin vigourous does it need to be to punture a lung? or is her fella hung like a blue whale?

compensation (in my opinion) should be paid in proportion to the level of injury/disability, some old trout whos now a bit ill cos of a bug and was probably already loaded should get naff all. Some lad who has to be pushed around for the rest of his life deserves more. The compensation should be done to cover the costs of necessary medical care, assistance, appliances etc, and to ensure a sensible living standard.

11. How do you puncture a lung during vigorous sex? What the hell were they doing? Ive been fairly vigorous sometimes and never managed more than cuts and bruises,and one or two rope burns

12. Sorry for delay in responce work reared it ugly head.
    Back to the thread-
    God knows how many people have caught MRSA or related diseases, some have died, some have survived with no ill effects and some need constant care around the clock. Some were poor, some were rich, some where leading experts in their field and some were injured soldiers recuperating!! What I am trying to say is that it doesn't discriminate on who its attacks. So all these different people with varying skills (or social standing) that they offer to society, collectively have not recieved anywhere near the sum total that Leslie Ash recieved. Then yes, I am in a fantasy world.

1 "Actress" using a stick = £5,000,000

2 "Unknown" hundreds of thousands dead, crippled, no ill effect =£4,643,148.57p*

* figure made up for effect - you get the drift.

13. No there isn't. Did they sue for medical negligence? It is like people blaming god/allah/lizard mosnters from space/etc etc for not letting them strike lottery...when they haven't fecking bought a ticket.

And just because they have contracted Methisdjsdjbhkjhak etc does not mean they can automatically get compo. They must show that the treatment they received caused them to contract the condition and the standards of treatment fell below acceptable standards.

14. As I said, I do not know how the calculation came about. Presumably, neither do you. In that case, how can you say it is preposterous? :?

15. And it is. It is paid out as I said earlier to put people in the position they would have been had they not been wronged.

So someone with projected earnings of say 20m will be looking at that amount if someone wrongly destroys their livelihood.

If you are worth 1 pound per hour, then that is what you are going to get.

I think it is fair. Negligence law is not there to provide a welfare service. It is there to compensate people for the wrong done to them.