£50K Driving Instructors

In last few day I've been reading about how 18% of Driving Instructors are earning in excess of £50k pa.

It seems to be a very good wedge on top of military pension.
Anybody here doing it or know about it?

In last few day I've been reading about how 18% of Driving Instructors are earning in excess of £50k pa.

It seems to be a very good wedge on top of military pension.
Anybody here doing it or know about it?
I’m guessing that the other 82% earn less, and the majority significantly so. On the other hand, lessons seem expensive so I suppose it’s worth considering.

More figures showing over 40% are on over £40k.

Some evidence last year showed that about 3-4% are earning between £65k and £75k.
Good work if you can get it.

A good career move after 'doing your bit for Queen and Country' ?
I am giving it some serious consideration, with more research before committing to it.

neil82

Old-Salt
first question should be "are these figures from any source linked to instructor courses", might be from the same place as £100k plumbers are from

Tyk

LE
More figures showing over 40% are on over £40k.

Some evidence last year showed that about 3-4% are earning between £65k and £75k.
Good work if you can get it.

A good career move after 'doing your bit for Queen and Country' ?
I am giving it some serious consideration, with more research before committing to it.
I wonder if that figure is gross or net after costs of vehicle, advertising, insurance (won't be trivial), repairs and maintenance (likely not trivial, I had a neighbour who worked for the AA and he had a new clutch every 3-6 months), accountant, business insurances and other business costs. My assumption would be gross.
I assume a salaried instructor working for one of the established driving schools will get nowhere near the £65-£75k figure.

@Bilko99 Without wishing to piss on your chips in any way, you've mentioned three sets of figures.

If they are from Driver training agencies then they are obviously going to spin the best possible case,

Also the headline figure, e.g. £40k, won't include your vehicle, insurance, fuel, tax and MOTs, or the fact that if you do go for it in a town or city then the competition from other companies/loners will be fierce.

Most of your clients will be youngsters who can only book lessons in the evening or at weekends, and the hourly rate doesn't cover your travel to and from their home/school.

Have a look on the Pistonheads website in the Jobs section, driving instructor training etc., crops up quite often, and each thread usually ends with the original poster deciding that it really isn't a good idea.

But only you can make that decision.

Ditto Porkbrain. My next door neighbour was a Driving Instructor with a Franchised Company. He went bust, losted his house, had Baliffe's after him etc etc. It does not matter how good you are, If there are not the punter's then you have no wages. It is not as rosy as some make out.

I knew a couple of police class one instructors who took it up when they retired. It is nice to have the ex-police instructor banner on your advertising, it sort of pisses on all the others all around. The ex-plod lads can generally teach IAM and RoSPA as well as ordinary driving, they pick up bits and pieces of corporate work too through a well established old boys network.

Just getting out there and doing driving instructor is, as already stated, a balls ache, evening and weekends are the main time for punters.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A typical driving school

I knew a couple of police class one instructors who took it up when they retired. It is nice to have the ex-police instructor banner on your advertising, it sort of pisses on all the others all around. The ex-plod lads can generally teach IAM and RoSPA as well as ordinary driving, they pick up bits and pieces of corporate work too through a well established old boys network.

Just getting out there and doing driving instructor is, as already stated, a balls ache, evening and weekends are the main time for punters.
On the plus side, a hefty fraction of your clients are late teens girls and you're inevitably going to be looking at their legs/chest whilst they're concentrating on the road ahead.

This may be seedy, and frankly quite repulsive, but it's got to be part of the mix in any honest discussion of the topic.

neil82

Old-Salt
On the plus side, a hefty fraction of your clients are late teens girls and you're inevitably going to be looking at their legs/chest whilst they're concentrating on the road ahead.

This may be seedy, and frankly quite repulsive, but it's got to be part of the mix in any honest discussion of the topic.
that got one ex forces instructor a 6 month stretch in north wales, you may come into contact with many nubile young wenches who may seem very grateful for the attention they get while driving around quiet lanes but keep taking the bromide

that got one ex forces instructor a 6 month stretch in north wales, you may come into contact with many nubile young wenches who may seem very grateful for the attention they get while driving around quiet lanes but keep taking the bromide

I think i remember that case.... quite nasty.

Coming back to comments I've made on other threads, they are children. While you might be fooled in a badly lit disco there's no way you can miss it in daylight and listening to them speak.

Nasty creepy perverts.

They’re at least seventeen.
Yep, children.

If you listen to them talk you'll understand what I'm getting at. Fine for them to shag each other but 30+ year old blokes wanting to **** them is just wrong.

Coming back to comments I've made on other threads, they are children. While you might be fooled in a badly lit disco there's no way you can miss it in daylight and listening to them speak.

Nasty creepy perverts.

Kinda one for the NAAFI, but on a non NAAFI note, no.

Any sexually active person, of whatever orientation, finds attractive members of their preferred gender(s) attractive. Obvs.

If you're telling me you don't, at some level of your consciousness, go "corrr... look at the arse/tits/beautiful smile/bulging willy on that" and enjoy the delight of seeing it, and not turn in to a sexual predator I'm calling you a liar.

Also disagree on the "hearing them speak" point; lots of under 30s seem to speak like toddlers lately. As do some fairly senior politicians, including Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet members.

Also disagree on the "hearing them speak" point; lots of under 30s seem to speak like toddlers lately. As do some fairly senior politicians, including Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet members.
Please do not confuse adult mutants with adolescent children.

That could get you into a whole world of hurt and pain.

Yep, children.

If you listen to them talk you'll understand what I'm getting at. Fine for them to shag each other but 30+ year old blokes wanting to **** them is just wrong.
I know what you mean
My Daughters 21 and whilst I could probably shag one of her friends** of that age after a night out - Theres no way I could hold a relationship with someone of that age - The urge to beat sense into them every time they open their mouths is overwhelming.

May I take this opportunity though to thank all my mentors over the years who managed to restrain themselves and not smack my young self upside the skull with a piece of 4x2.

**Note ive written her friends not her

urban_spaceman

War Hero
Yep, children.

Busted.

You are Alex DeLarge and you owe me.

Although I’ll let you off if you autograph my DVD.

On a serious note though. A couple of friends do it. 1k (gross) a week is deemed really good, but rarely happens. That figure is probs gross, but as with any trade, you get yourself a good rep, a good network, a good patch and are prepared to do the hours, then why not?

Last edited:

Latest Threads