£5 coin

If I get £5 notes in change, I tend to just shove them in my pocket, along with the loose change. Is the time right for the introduction into general circulation of a £5 coin? Is it also approaching the time to do away with 1p and 2p pieces, which are probably worth more in scrap value than they are as currency?

yes

I am quite happy about the £5 and see no reason to change just because you want a coin. I am also happy with the 1p and 2p, so I think your idea is pretty shit.

If I get £5 notes in change, I tend to just shove them in my pocket, along with the loose change. Is the time right for the introduction into general circulation of a £5 coin? Is it also approaching the time to do away with 1p and 2p pieces, which are probably worth more in scrap value than they are as currency?
Are you going to pay to have all my pockets reinforced?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
No. Too many coins can spoil the cut of ones trousers which is a crime against God and man.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Eh? So a tin of beans goes up by 5p a time and penny bubblies see a 500% increase.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nice to see Google predictive advertising is on the ball today. Spot on.

Googly.JPG

There is a direct correlation between the abolition of the lowest denomination coin and inflation so lets not rock the boat by abolishing the 1p coin?

Coins? How quaint. Get a credit card you pikey.

No. More £5 notes. My local cash machine gives tenners or twenties. My work trousers are shit material and thin, I already have to carry a wallet, diary, phone and keys in the pockets and already look like im wearing 1915 era jodphurs. My brekkie in the canteen costs £2.70. So by the time ive had me fryup im loaded with shrapnel as it is, without you insisting i carry shedloads of £5 coins as well.

Bring back £1 notes, hap'ennies, and thrupny bits! Thats whats missing - three pence pieces!

Long gone are the days of two banana Mojos for a penny

A couple of posters have already metioned it but abolishing 1p and 2p coins will give suppliers an excuse to drive up prices particularly for food stuffs and they will be more reluctant to offer discounts if they have got to reduce them more than a few pence.

No doubt a five pound coin will end up more commonplace in the not too distant future. Just to add! When will we see a hundred pound note in circulation? That will be a hit if you are passed a dodgy one.

How about replacing the £2 coin with a note?

Discuss*.

When will we see a hundred pound note in circulation? That will be a hit if you are passed a dodgy one.
Seeing as the current £50 is far from ubiquitous, I can't see any rush for higher denominations just yet.

*The only thing a £5 coin would be good for.