£45,000 expenses fraud by MoD PA.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
******* disgraceful. They'll be questioning the exces of day-raters next. Are there no beans that require counting?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
This is the bit I like:

Helen Baggaley, 32, took advantage of a 'lax accounting system' which allowed her to sign off her own expenses.
Tip of the iceberg is a phrase that comes to mind. If you allow this sort of thing anywhere - not just the MOD - people will take the piss. This may have been one of the worst examples, but it may well be going on at a lower level in quite a few other places.

In the multinational I work for, I have to provide receipts for all expenses over £10. My boss is required to sign off my expenses, and in parallel I send of a copy of the receipts. Signing off my expenses is quite a quick job as they're not generally checked in detail, but if necessary someone could retrieve my receipts and verify they're all legit. That's a far more difficult system to fiddle. I can't see anyone fiddling my employers for £45K that easily.

Wordsmith

Stupid tart shouldve just said her wrists and hands were a bit sore from the relentless typing, cocktail glass lifting and wanks shes given out and let the system lash her up with a multi million pound settlement

Why didn't she apologise, pay the money back and then "draw a line under the matter"?
Isn't that how it's done now?

This is the bit I like:

Tip of the iceberg is a phrase that comes to mind. If you allow this sort of thing anywhere - not just the MOD - people will take the piss. This may have been one of the worst examples, but it may well be going on at a lower level in quite a few other places.

In the multinational I work for, I have to provide receipts for all expenses over £10. My boss is required to sign off my expenses, and in parallel I send of a copy of the receipts. Signing off my expenses is quite a quick job as they're not generally checked in detail, but if necessary someone could retrieve my receipts and verify they're all legit. That's a far more difficult system to fiddle. I can't see anyone fiddling my employers for £45K that easily.

Wordsmith
My company uses this for all expenses. Mandatory for anyone claiming stuff.

Online Travel & Expense Management | Concur

Sadly, this could well be the tip of the iceberg, particularly as the MOD continues to reduce administrative staff. However, this is not only an MOD problem - I suspect it is widespread across all Government departments, nobly led of course, by our glorious leaders in Westminster.

Oh and ref the perp, may I be the first to say I would.

she must have spent some cash on those squirrel teeth

and besides, they need to concentrate on the true criminals - the bottom of the pile easy targets (pikey scrap nicking squaddies)

i find in life some people blaming others for something are usually doing it themselves, bastard ****** ******* twating office jockey MOD twats, i love you all

The Civil Service claims system - like ours on JPA - is "self certified" by default. Unless a claim looks odd it will go through. Apparently it saves money........

In a previous job I saw three MOD Snivel Serpents caught out for fiddling T&S claims. Two resigned the day before the disciplinary hearing, the third had the nerve to try to deny and was sacked. But then if you pay these people nothing, this is how they make their money.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And another gem from the public sector.

Around 2,400 senior civil servants being paid 'off-payroll' | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Around 2,400 senior public officials are being paid their salary off the government payroll, which may have allowed the avoidance of tax, the chief secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, disclosed on Wednesday.

The announcement follows a Whitehall review that also discovered around 1,400 appointees - 60% - have been engaged this way since the coalition government came to power. Seventy of the senior public officials had been paid this way for more than 10 years... More than 1,000 of those identified are IT contractors, the review found. The majority of those identified are paid on a daily basis, with around 70% costing the appointing department more than £400 a day.
Why 70 senior public officials have been paid that way for 10 years totally escapes me. That's taking the piss on an epic scale.

I can understand why some IT contractors have been brought in on short term contracts - there will always be temporary problems where its cheaper to bring someone in on a contract then employ them full time. But after a few months, you're better off bringing them in on fixed term contracts. Its not as if there's a mega shortage of experienced IT staff in the current economic climate...

Wordsmith

Why 70 senior public officials have been paid that way for 10 years totally escapes me. That's taking the piss on an epic scale.
I wonder what the tax mans take in 10 years is. Smells like people should be failing the 'habitual emoloyment' test and going on to PAYE with their habitual employer.

Thank goodness that not a single serving member of hm forces has ever been disciplined or worse for abusing the jpa self certification system.