£402,000 for teacher hit by pupil

#1
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I realise this topic is being done to death. But I'm getting fed up with this frapping guv'mut.

A chap in the office, ex-rupert but lovely bloke, has been sh@ting kittens for over three months as his eldest was injured in A Land of Sand. Long story short, the vehicle he was in rolled with a fatallity , few weeks later his vehicle was opened along with part of his exteremities, the lad is recovering well and is keen as to get back to his unit. Compo has been not mentioned. He just wants to get back to his job. Every credit!

Then I read this...........

[marq=right]A teacher has been awarded £402,000 in damages for a career-ending injury caused by a pupil in a secure unit.
The teacher worked in Staffordshire but wishes to remain anonymous. She sustained a back injury in the attack. The National Union of Teachers negotiated the payout with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

The union said it was the biggest in recent years. Chief legal officer Graham Clayton said it was entirely justified in the circumstances.

A teacher suffers a violent attack almost every school day in England, according to government figures.

There were 221 attacks on teachers last year, and 1,128 between 2000 and 2006.

Injuries caused by violent attacks increased by a fifth over the same period. [marq=left]

I don't expect to change the world, but FFS some parity in how the lads and lasses are lookled after.

My kids (4 under 13s) have donated £40 to the ABF, so I matched it.

Rant over.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#2
If the injury was severe enough to end her career then why shouldn't she get that much in compensation? Or are career ending injuries the domain of the soldier in your books? I take it that your point is that soldiers should get the same and I agree wholeheartedly, they should. One day, hopefully, the MoD will realise this and do the decent thing.

You're right though. This subject has been done to death.
 
#3
Biscuits_AB said:
If the injury was severe enough to end her career then why shouldn't she get that much in compensation? Or are career ending injuries the domain of the soldier in your books? I take it that your point is that soldiers should get the same and I agree wholeheartedly, they should. One day, hopefully, the MoD will realise this and do the decent thing.

You're right though. This subject has been done to death.
What he said. The main problem with the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme is that maximum payments are far less than the maximum in an action for damages, or even under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. Surely that doesnt mean that other claimants shouldnt get appropriate compensation. Unless of course you think violent career-ending attacks on teachers, nurses or other public servants are only what they deserve.
 
#5
Scabster_Mooch said:
But isn't it true that soldiers can still sue the MoD in cases of eg negligence? Does that not invalidate the point that soldiers get less compensation than civilians?
They can only sue for negligence when not in a combat environment.

Hence the compensation to the soldiers pre GWII for the 84mm misfire.
 
#6
A few years ago I got a settlement out of court for a injury sustained by some w***er where I worked.He was pratting around & I nearly lost my left eye(Not my muck eye!).I got £2000.
I did'nt sue them to get any money,that was the union's idea.I did it because the civvie company refused to accept responsability.
Now my eye is completely better apart from it waters heavily at times.That was back in 96ish.
Now I am ashamed & embarresed for that what I got pales into insignificance compared to what pittence our lads are getting for their injuries.
 
#7
Gremlin said:
Scabster_Mooch said:
But isn't it true that soldiers can still sue the MoD in cases of eg negligence? Does that not invalidate the point that soldiers get less compensation than civilians?
They can only sue for negligence when not in a combat environment.

Hence the compensation to the soldiers pre GWII for the 84mm misfire.
Eh? I was under the impression that crown immunity has been removed?
 
#8
Lets not b1tch about the fact that someone got £402K, lets b1tch about the fact that Forces Personnel don't.

What is this 84mm Misfire compensation? I don't think there should be any compo for a misfire.
 
P

Pharscape81

Guest
#9
So by that statement I take it when someone joins the army they don't expect to get hurt?
 
#11
Scabster_Mooch said:
Gremlin said:
Scabster_Mooch said:
But isn't it true that soldiers can still sue the MoD in cases of eg negligence? Does that not invalidate the point that soldiers get less compensation than civilians?
They can only sue for negligence when not in a combat environment.

Hence the compensation to the soldiers pre GWII for the 84mm misfire.
Eh? I was under the impression that crown immunity has been removed?

True, but that does not apply during acts of war or conflict.



dingerr said:
Lets not b1tch about the fact that someone got £402K, lets b1tch about the fact that Forces Personnel don't.

What is this 84mm Misfire compensation? I don't think there should be any compo for a misfire.


I may have misremembered the facts,

but a soldier recieved a fairly substansive compo payment for a range
incident in the beat up to GWII, whilst in theatre.

And as for my bold I totally agree with you. You should have heard a certain well decorated ex Headley Court patient on that subject!!!!!
 
#12
I'm probably being picky, but nothing happens when a misfire occurs.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#13
Pharscape81 said:
So by that statement I take it when someone joins the army they don't expect to get hurt?
To be frank, some people on this site do think like this. There was a thread going a while ago where someone was totally affronted by the fact that Liam Gallacher had made a comment along the lines of 'if you don't want to get shot, don't join the Army'. The poster was incensed. Gallacher was right. Getting shot at in the Army is an occupational hazard.
 
#14
If you consider the person was on about 25k and had another 35 years of employment in them then it’s not much. 25x35=875,000. So they got half of there projected income following an attack at work which should not have happened. Looks a bit hard dun by to me.

And I agree if you joined the army and didn’t think you’d get shot at then you didn’t read the small print or have seen any news for the last 40 years.
 
#15
Biscuits_AB said:
Pharscape81 said:
So by that statement I take it when someone joins the army they don't expect to get hurt?
To be frank, some people on this site do think like this. There was a thread going a while ago where someone was totally affronted by the fact that Liam Gallacher had made a comment along the lines of 'if you don't want to get shot, don't join the Army'. The poster was incensed. Gallacher was right. Getting shot at in the Army is an occupational hazard.

More likely incensed that twonks like him, Liam, can say that because of what we have done for freedom of speech. Plus, as said, he's a twonk.
 
#16
offog said:
If you consider the person was on about 25k and had another 35 years of employment in them then it’s not much. 25x35=875,000. So they got half of there projected income following an attack at work which should not have happened. Looks a bit hard dun by to me.

And I agree if you joined the army and didn’t think you’d get shot at then you didn’t read the small print or have seen any news for the last 40 years.
You are forgetting the effects of compound interest when the sum is invested in a bank. 402,000 quid safely lodged in a high interest account and spread over a range of low and medium risk investments should be able to return an average of 35-40,000 quid a year. On top of this amount she will also be in receipt of the full range of State handouts.

I bet she would rather have a strong and healthy back though.

Any teacher who works in those units for "special" kids (read violent homicidal cúnts) deserves a lot of respect: there is no end of tour in sight for those people. As B_AB intimated, this award should not generate ire towards the recipient, but wrath towards the cúnts in the snivelling service and their wretched masters who judge a soldiers life to be disposable.
 
#17
Well said Dread,

I have often thought about becoming a teacher when i leave, but i know that if some little scrote had a go at me i would tw@t the little cnut and there endeth career and possible prison sentence.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Unknown_Quantity Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 16
Gunner_ear Army Pay, Claims & JPA 42

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top