Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

£200-million announced for vital improvements to troops' accommodation

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and Chancellor Rishi Sunak announce £200-million new government funding for the UK Armed Forces' housing and accommodation.

Continue reading...

snapper

War Hero
Sadly the accommodation has been so underfunded since the demise of the PSA to the point it may now be cheaper to demolish and rebuild. That said, looking at the state some of the new slam blocks are in already after being 'trashed' by some of the occupants one could say the older blocks, having survived this long and being almost indestructible could be the way forward following a lick of paint, some roof tiles replaced and doors put back on their hinges....

Last edited:
£200 Million? How generous, <£1,000 per military personnel

£200 Million? Equivalent to about two hours cost of the £10 Billion Hancock pissed away on his doesn't work "Best in World" Track & Trace App in a couple of months

£10 Billion on a narrow purpose App? How, just how, can it cost hundreds of millions per day to create?

Bristol Colston Plinth: Lampost with Hancock hanging from rope with bed of 12" nails at base

What got me was that it was the likes of Knock, Westdown, Longmoor and Nesscliffe. WW2 Nissen and Maycrete buildings used as training camps.

£200M to replace those? Maybe build something like Anzio Camp at Leek.

1595035973427.jpeg

1595035989653.jpeg

1595036006353.jpeg

1595036106267.jpeg

£200M, what the **** is that going to buy, some new carpet?
A few more of those secure phone charging cabinets that passed for ‘improvements’ to electricity provision at Warcop? The money might have been better spent on roofing felt and cleaning products.

Dr Death

War Hero
The MoD forgot a few noughts!

Officers first, then the Men.

morsk

LE
No MBEs in roofing felt mate.
I hear you, but the spin they will put on this 'free money' is "Look, I have got the blokes accommodation refubed. How great am I?" and get their MBE that way.

Dread

LE
£200 Million? How generous, <£1,000 per military personnel

£200 Million? Equivalent to about two hours cost of the £10 Billion Hancock pissed away on his doesn't work "Best in World" Track & Trace App in a couple of months

£10 Billion on a narrow purpose App? How, just how, can it cost hundreds of millions per day to create?

Bristol Colston Plinth: Lampost with Hancock hanging from rope with bed of 12" nails at base

If you are going to spout shite, at least be slightly accurate.

The failed track-and-trace app cost GBP 11.8 million.

To help you, in case your mimicry of Diane Abbott goes deeper than a typo:
11.8 million and 10 billion respectively:

See the difference?

Still a huge amount of money wasted, but 0.18% of what you claim.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
Heard it all before. My current accommodation is about 9 square metres and I’m a WO2. Some of the lads have it even worse.

Its one of the reasons I left in the end. the steady deterioration of both Singles accom and MQs.

In my final MQ I was sat on the kharzi reading a Wickes catalogue (as you do) and it was then I realised that every fitting (e.g. light switch, taps, door handles etc) were the very very cheapest available.
So cheap and crappy that you couldn't even buy them from Wickes/B&Q/Ironmongery direct.
The MOD would rather save 10% on the cost of something then replace it 5 times than just get a decent product.
And that seems to apply to everything from Door Handles to MBTs.

Unless its PFI/Annington Homes and you are getting a tasty backhander along the way. Allegedly.

Sadly the accommodation has been so underfunded since the demise of the PSA to the point it may now be cheaper to demolish and rebuild. That said, looking at the state some of the new slam blocks are in already after being 'trashed' by some of the occupants one could say the older blocks, having survived this long and being almost indestructible could be the way forward following a lick of paint, some roof tiles replaced and doors put back on their hinges....

Ah SLAM blocks and pissed *********.
Remember the first one being opened in Nelson - and some drunks decided to punch out all the plasterboard walls along a couple of corridors, then the lifts had to be taken out of service after becoming multi floor toilets.

£200M, what the **** is that going to buy, some new carpet?
4,000 new bed-sapces at an average cost of £50,000/bedspace over a 20 year maintenance period. At least that was the cost of SLAM accommodation 15 years ago before it got axed in favour of 'cheaper' (and ineffibly crappier) PFI 'Travelodge' builds, some of which are already reaching the end of their design lives.

Latest Threads