£200 a day to be a Taliban

Don't know if this has come up yet,but whilst reading my copy of the Mein Kampf on Sunday(Mail),I hapened upon said article.

It would appear that the erstwhile Masters of our destiny are paying Afghan refugees/asylum seekers,the magnificent sum of £200 per day,to prance around Stamford PTA,pretending to be members of the Taliban,and at the end of their stint they all go back to their day jobs! They also have a fleet of Freelanders for them to cruise around in?

How much does a tom get paid per day now,for serving in Afghanistan? :oops:

Have the lunatics taken over the asylum(no pun intended)? Anyone else seen this? :pissedoff:

RoofRat said:
Don't know if this has come up yet,but whilst reading my copy of the Mein Kampf on Sunday(Mail),I hapened upon said article.

It would appear that the erstwhile Masters of our destiny are paying Afghan refugees/asylum seekers,the magnificent sum of £200 per day,to prance around Stamford PTA,pretending to be members of the Taliban,and at the end of their stint they all go back to their day jobs! They also have a fleet of Freelanders for them to cruise around in?

Have the lunatics taken over the asylum(no pun intended)? Anyone else seen this? :pissedoff:
Link?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Granted £200 - if true - seems a strangely high figure, but if these volunteers speak the native languages that our soldiers are likely to be coming across and can, to some extent at least, simulate the sort of social (and antisocial?) situations our soldiers are likely to come across then it certainly justifies a high pay as such people would - I imagine - be quite difficult to find.

Just to give a bit of balance in the other direction, unpopular though that might be.

Invictus_88 said:
Granted £200 - if true - seems a strangely high figure, but if these volunteers speak the native languages that our soldiers are likely to be coming across and can, to some extent at least, simulate the sort of social (and antisocial?) situations our soldiers are likely to come across then it certainly justifies a high pay as such people would - I imagine - be quite difficult to find.

Just to give a bit of balance in the other direction, unpopular though that might be.

Thousands of em in Brum :? Remember we are talking per day here,just do the sums for a week/month,base it on 20 wetbacks a day.

20x£200=£4000 per day,5 day week,can't have them contrevening EU Working Time Regulations,£20,000 per week,and that doesn't include the hire charges for the Landrovers,I don't think I need to go on! :pissedoff:

The faintly esoteric "social and antisocial situations" bit,works quite well,until you realise how much body armour £20,000 a week can buy for the Toms that are already out there. I don't think unpopular quite makes it do you?????

Absolutely, it's a lot of money and too much for what the army gets. I was only saying that it seems some sort of good payment makes sense if the training is as I hypothesised.

The landy hire is probably more of a sign that the army has been cut to a point where it can't spare owned vehicles and so has to hire. Just another instance of false economy in defence procurement.

Certainly ridiculous, but isn't most of it just 'business as usual'? I get the impression this sort of thing is hardly unknown.

RoofRat said:
Invictus_88 said:

Thousands of em in Brum :? Remember we are talking per day here,just do the sums for a week/month,base it on 20 wetbacks a day.

20x£200=£4000 per day,5 day week,can't have them contrevening EU Working Time Regulations,£20,000 per week,and that doesn't include the hire charges for the Landrovers,I don't think I need to go on! :pissedoff:

The faintly esoteric "social and antisocial situations" bit,works quite well,until you realise how much body armour £20,000 a week can buy for the Toms that are already out there. I don't think unpopular quite makes it do you?????
It is better/cheaper/easier than getting soldiers to play at being Taliban. I think that the training value far exceeds the perceived cost of this. If it saves a life it is worth it.

Can you tell me how many Toms are in Afghanistan without body armour? Thought not.

barbs said:
RoofRat said:
Invictus_88 said:

It is better/cheaper/easier than getting soldiers to play at being Taliban. I think that the training value far exceeds the perceived cost of this. If it saves a life it is worth it.

Can you tell me how many Toms are in Afghanistan without body armour? Thought not.
No sorry,don't do speculation,was never part of my job spec! I'll try to find out though,if you can tell me how many lives it has saved.

What I do know is that it is roughly £1million per annum not including the Freelander hire,and we could have another 4 Cougars for that,and they do save lives.

P.S. All they did for Aden was,give you the jabs,and issued the kit!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
£200 sovs a day?!?!? I'M TALIBANI

and Brian and Spartacus!

Maybe this is all to do with those long languages course that are being hawked to us left, right and centre?

You know the ones learn Dary, Pashtoo Arabic etc. Maybe this is seen as a cheaper training option for the terps to be as opposed to dumping them in a war zone with sweet FA prior experience of using it outside a classroom?

Considering the courses are what 18 months? Does tend to make a bit of sense.

As for price? Put a price on decent language training which equals a massive force multiplier winning hearts and minds as opposed to pointy-speaky books.

RoofRat said:

Stamford Parents & Teachers Association?

Or did you mean Stanford Training Area (STANTA)?

Either way, if it is considered to aid in the training of those deploying on HERRICK, then I wholeheartedly support it.

It's nice that they've managed to quote... erm... Wait a second, they haven't actually managed to quote anyone! They seem to have a "source" and they also appear to have spoken to "one local villager".

Interesting. Wonder how much of the article is factual, and how much is fantasy. I know they use people of Iraqi/Afghani extraction in training for the Ops, but that would appear to make a good deal of sense. Realism, a chance to witness the culture the soldiers will be dumped in. Sounds great, actually.

So... Without an official Yes or No from the MoD, how do we know that these Afghans are getting £200 per day?

Dilfor said:
RoofRat said:

Stamford Parents & Teachers Association?

Or did you mean Stanford Training Area (STANTA)?

Either way, if it is considered to aid in the training of those deploying on HERRICK, then I wholeheartedly support it.
Thank you for the correction,however,when I used to do air map reading exercises,in the Sioux,and Alouette(types of Helo),it was still called Stamford PTA(practical trg area) :),and you were allowed to fly extremely low 8)