£1bn underspend?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cold_Collation, Nov 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Towards the bottom - 'the MOD is heading for a £1bn underspend with some of the money to be handed back to the Treasury'.

Um... not one for wanton waste, but can't that money be found a useful home still within the defence budget?

Axe looms over BAE shipyards - Telegraph

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It was probably originally ringfenced spending and if not spent goes back from whence it came.

3. Another selective quote from the same article:

“Unlike in the past, when the MoD routinely overspent, we are now taking a prudent approach to budgeting, with appropriate contingency so that we can plan for the unexpected and order further equipment when we know we can afford it.
    “We are only just over half way through the financial year and expect to announce future in-year procurements. We do not anticipate handing any money back to the Treasury,” she said.

• Like Like x 1
  4. They haven't accounted for the Christmas piss up yet then??

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Sorry - I wasn't intentionally selectively quoting, nor revving up the outrage bus.

6. Well put the work ticket and keys back, its still booked out for WALTs this month anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hmmm, it's the 25 Nov which is to all intents and purposes 8 months since the 1 Apr. 8 from 12 is (by my maths) 2/3 of the way through the financial year and yet the expert chooses to describe that as 'just over half way'. If 2/3 is the same as just over half way it's no wonder we are in this unholy mess.

• Like Like x 1
  8. "Hmmm, it's the 25 Nov which is to all intents and purposes 8 months since the 1 Apr. 8 from 12 is (by my maths) 2/3 of the way through the financial year and yet the expert chooses to describe that as 'just over half way'. If 2/3 is the same as just over half way it's no wonder we are in this unholy mess".

splitting hairs.jpg

9. Well if you think that 6 months is the same thing as 8 months then maybe you too should work for the government? I see a great career within the MOD and/or Treasury beckoning.

If you had worked out how to use the quote button properly your humour would be oh so much better.

10. cock.jpg

11. Maybe the results were taken from a point 'just over halfway', but only announced a few weeks later?

£1bill... could sort out some nice digs.

12. Don't worry sport, AT & the 'good ideas brigade' are firmly back on the agenda. The message is spend spend spend before April and if we are nothing else we are experts of converting a surplus into a deficit ^~

13. It's the ****ing pay they owe me.

14. Will you get it early at Christmas?