£1500 to try out the TA

£1500 to try out army life | Army Rumour Service

Who needs the King's shilling when young Scots get £1,500 for training?

Key points
  • Youngsters offered cash incentives to join up
  • £1,500 to attend training scheme
  • Army looks to give positive image of service life to potential recruits

Key quote
"It's an opportunity for young people to challenge their own potential and pick up some useful skills along the way. They will gain confidence, get fitter, learn a variety of new skills and become much more independent. All these new competencies are transferable and will be valuable applications in the workplace, or when students return to college." - Brigadier Davey Kirk, commander of 51 (Scottish) Brigade

The results of this will be very interesting.

msr

Last edited by a moderator:
Er, isn't that the link at the top of my post.

I wanted a copy in this forum, as the 'churn' is quite high in current affairs and it will soon slip off the radar there...

msr

No worries :)

I can't help thinking though, that if these 'Save our Scottish Regiments' load-mouths actually supported the new regiments and recruiting initiatives then the Scottish regiments wouldn't be getting amalgamated because they would up to strength. But they can't seem to see this.

msr

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's time they moved with the times, and, instead of having a whinge, they realised that this actually gives the soldiers more opportunity for variety and promotion.

msr

I presume, beacasue you've aired it in here, that you are thinking about a similar scheme for TA recruiting?

It does look like an idea well worth batting about. Lump sums are always more attractive than salary to potential recruits and don't actually hit the purse strings as much as you might think. How would you see it working in a TA environment though?

Seems to me just to be a bit of clever marketing vis 7 weeks training or 49 days at £30 daily rate of pay is £1470.

As someone said on the attached link, isn't that what it cost us anyway to train a recruit through the normal channels?

Also at the end of all the training, the newly trained soldier is as entitled to walk away, irrespective of how they were trained, this then becomes the perennial retention problem that we strive so hard on these pages to address.

I'm all for it, in fact I might use a similar tactic to 'sell' the TA at my unit; 'We will pay you £1200 to go through basic training, 1 x selection weekend, 4 x TAFS1 weekends, 2 weeks CSM (R) TA, and 4 x GAP weekends plus Drill Nights'.

The cynic in me would say that by the time Glasgow get the pay sorted out the recruit would have finished there phase 1 and receive the pay as a lump sum anyway. However, as I've said before I have a superb civil admin team who are really on the ball so most pay issues are dealt with very efficiently.

It's too early to check my spelling so apologies in advance I need another cup of coffee!!!!

I'm not, but I would like to see this sort of project, if it proves a success, replicated across other Bdes.

I think it builds on the concept that getting a group of people together and building the camaraderie from day one bonds them better than the 'steady trickle' of people who turn up at TACs.

msr

Sounds great - if we get some potential student recruits in at the start of the summer can we send them up to Scotland for this?

If so, I'll start working the colleges and units now!

Didnt see it in the article but is this the scheme where they can end up with a driving licence as well?

I think it is a great idea - sorts out all the problems of people waiting around for ATRs and means that (if they can get more time off) they can hop straight onto an autumn camp with their chosen unit as well.

Youre bound to get some dropouts but as long as the standard of training is high and the receiving units teat them well, this would provide a good injection of new soldiers into the TA each September

msr said:
"It's an opportunity for young people to challenge their own potential and pick up some useful skills along the way. They will gain confidence, get fitter, learn a variety of new skills and become much more independent. All these new competencies are transferable and will be valuable applications in the workplace, or when students return to college." - Brigadier Davey Kirk, commander of 51 (Scottish) Brigade

The results of this will be very interesting.

msr

In the workplace? When Students return to college? Yeah right - course completed, next stop the sandpit!!

Purple_Emperor said:
Didnt see it in the article but is this the scheme where they can end up with a driving licence as well?
They most certainly do, more info here. The driving licence bit is worth another £500 [1] of anybody's money.

[1] Based on 20 lessons at £17 plus the theory test, and a couple of goes at the full test.

Sirs, Gents, Ladies:

WIKI

Containing this:

http://www.scottishsoldier.co.uk/challenge.htm (as given by GIATT in post above and amongst other links so go to the Wiki page first.)

I'm up to my neck in this particular one (as I hope so will GIATT be ;)) Anyone willing to help with viral marketing support (see also WIKI) please pm me and I will provide appropriate text when available - note to msr, awaiting approval from a particular grown-up or I would have posted the lot already.

Of particular interest for recruiting will be the Summer Challenge Information Teams (SCIT Teams) of which I know some are members of these forums so I hope they will post their experiences promoting the event around colleges and elsewhere.

devilish care to comment?

GIAT,

Are there plans to offer this in other Bdes?

msr

Question still stands - can we send people up from Londdist to attend?

Obviously there may be some translation difficulties for them north of the border.. :D

msr said:
Are there plans to offer this in other Bdes?
I have been reliably informed that CRF is keen on this sort or thing both the Summer Challenge and 4PARA's Military Gap Year so I would expect it to be everywhere next year if it works this year. However as I am no more than an interested onlooker I cannot really comment with any authority.

This sort of thing targets students who are most likely to be able to devote 12-18 months to the armed forces - think of it as voluntary national service.

Expect to see it expanded to include dole wallahs in due course.

Seems a great scheme to target people in last year of college/uni, who dont have clue what they want to do after they leave.

I see it is being promoted through job centres so presumably for job seekers rather than longer term unemployed who would lose all their benefits....?

Thanks for the links GIATT & abacus - at last I understand. Looks an excellent idea - a kind of compressed cadets/OTC, those who go on to join have had a good initial experience, those who do not may at least spread the good word and act as ambassadors for the TA.

On a practical point, who runs it/ carries out the training? It's a heavy manpower bill to train 250 pax for 7 weeks solid. I assume the challengees join a TA unit for the duration, or if not where does the money come from? Are they then encouraged to stay in the unit?

No criticism, I'm just wildly curious and would like to know who is leading (Bde, RFCA, CRR?), who is involved and what issues have come up in the planning. Feel free to PM if all this is too heavy for this thread.

Blyth_spirit said:
I assume the challengees join a TA unit for the duration, or if not where does the money come from? Are they then encouraged to stay in the unit?
Yes they do. Yes they are. SCIT Teams being deployed from each Unit in the Bde geographical area regardless of functional Bde. i.e. 32 Sigs (for example) as heavily involved as everyone else.

Blyth_spirit said:
On a practical point, who runs it/ carries out the training? It's a heavy manpower bill to train 250 pax for 7 weeks solid. I assume the challengees join a TA unit for the duration, or if not where does the money come from? Are they then encouraged to stay in the unit?
For this one the RTC is leading although I do not believe that would be the case elsewhere - at least not until 2008 at the earliest - as the 51 Bde RTC is about 12 months ahead of the game in terms of establishment and conceptual development. Frankly, given the scale of the project and manpower requirement, I believe that these should be Div initiatives and Div resourced but we all know that it will be the same old TA Gladiators who turn up for Exec Stretch and CCRF Exs who pile in on this one. Therefore, make a virtue out of necessity and let us scramble to victory as we always seem to. This particular RTC has a reputation for doing exactly what it says on the tin and seems to have the confidence of the COs in the Bde area so more power to their elbow. Especially if those COs - some of whom I know read this stuff - make it worth their PSIs time to assist willingly (i.e. carrots please, the stick is divisive and counter-productive) and do likewise with the TA personnel who they can encourage to get involved.