£148 Million of silver found on WW2 wreck

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by LordVonHarley, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It wouldn't have happened if Gordon Brown was still in charge. He'd have had the lot and sold it for £80million.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. When the silver is 15,000ft down and you're the only people who can get it, you can name your own terms.
  3. It's also a business. The salvage companies pay a fortune on research, and equipment, to find these wrecks and explore them. Sometimes for years. Sometimes the wrecks once found have **** all of interest on them.

That's why they charge so much.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Fairly standard split as it was an SS not an HMS. If its an HMS such as the Victory then they get a recovery fee or so is my understanding. Also with HMS they have to be careful of "wargrave" status.

Not my field, I'm more ofay with Dry Archaeology and PAS. Not dealing with the HM's Receiver of wreck.
  5. I know that savage cost a lot to research and kit out, how ever legally the silver belongs to the original owners (Dept of transport in this case?). Odyssey salvaged a load os Spanish treasure only for the Spanish Gov. to slap them with a legal challenge which has seen the booty locked up for years. Surely the Gov. could have done better than 20%.
    Odysey might have the know how, but the Government could tie them up with legal challenges till the cows come home.

Next question, does the RN have any thing that can savage the deep blue sea? Could be a nice side line for them?
  6. It's full of bummers apparently.