£1 Billion in foreign aid to Syria?

Over £1 billion has been sent to Syria in foreign aid.

Prime Minister David Cameron has promised that the UK will accept up to 20,000 more Syrian Refugees.

Should money from the foreign aid budget be used instead to provide support for local councils homing these expected refugees?

Where does the UK's aid currently go? - BBC News

Where does UK aid to Syria actually go? - BBC News

DISCLAIMER

I have been asked to provide a question for a debate society, I hope you don't mind me testing it here. It's my first post so I'm hoping i've posted in the correct area. All responses are welcome and any advice on the question itself would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
There will not be that much now that George Osborne has to redo his sums

(A private eduction was money wasted on that man)

Archie

Prime Minister David Cameron has promised that the UK will accept up to 20,000 more Syrian Refugees.
When one compares that with the figures already in and still heading into other European countries that seems pretty modest, along with the fact that they are being cherry picked. In the circumstances not a bad deal.

Should money from the foreign aid budget be used instead to provide support for local councils homing these expected refugees?
That would seem a reasonable place to obtain at least some of the funds used to assist foreigners in need of aid.

Why does the government cut the funding for the countries services yet seem to delight in giving other countries billions? Have they never heard of looking after their own people instead of other countries people?

I thought they were taking money from the foreign aid budget to support the refugees coming to the UK from Syria.

They need to be taking money our of the foreign aid budget to work on ways to stop refugees coming to the UK from anywhere.

They need to be taking money our of the foreign aid budget to work on ways to stop refugees coming to the UK from anywhere.
They need to take money out off the foreign aid budget to help our own people first....

Latest Threads