£1.2 billion contract awarded for new attack submarine

Ministry of Defence said:
The Ministry of Defence has awarded a £1.2 billion contract for Audacious, the latest Astute Class attack submarine to be built for the Royal Navy.

More...

Not sure if good choice of name… Last Audacious found a mine and sank without firing a shot in anger.

Over the recent years the MODs aka HMG policy has been to downscale or remove weapon platforms / systems that don't have a clear target or threat

So whats the point of this weapon platform

So the Sub will be manned by the TA under the new Cyber Reserve Defence Force....see just TA thread, at least that will save some funds

I did hear that due to the major improvements found necessary in the early boats the specification has changed somewhat. the older boats not surprisingly will also need a major refit, all this in the willing hands of BAE.

Once complete this will lead to the whole Astute class being renamed: "The Destitute Class!"

Over the recent years the MODs aka HMG policy has been to downscale or remove weapon platforms / systems that don't have a clear target or threat

So whats the point of this weapon platform
It's not solely a weapons platform, and addresses many different threats.
I did hear that due to the major improvements found necessary in the early boats the specification has changed somewhat. the older boats not surprisingly will also need a major refit, all this in the willing hands of BAE.

Once complete this will lead to the whole Astute class being renamed: "The Destitute Class!"
I think your definition of 'major refit' ties in with my definition of 'routine maintenance period'.