*^&$%£?ing Freeview

The latest Freeview channel update has just rendered my Freeview HD box useless. after the recent retune I've now lost over 35 channels including all the HD channels.

I should mention that I have a relatively old TV in the man cave which gets the HD signal through a cheap "Manhattan" HD box. It's worked fine until the latest retune.

I've been told that we will need a new ariel and I'll also have to replace the HD box.

What a fvcking con!
Have you ever thought it might be easier to just not be a bloody little poor person?

Freeview retunes are a pain in the hole. Slight hijack: I'm sick to death of my Humax YouView box. Freezes all the time, and the outrageously complicated procedure yo get into the reset menu no longer works.

Can anyone recommend a Freeview HD recorder that isn't a massive pile of shit?

OP: unless you live in an area with marginal reception, decent aerials aren't too dear. 40 clams or less. TOP TIP: buy decent coax, not the shit that local electrical shops sell off a big roll. It makes all the difference.
I have a panasonic box that works a treat. was about £240 sheets if I recall but that was 3-4 years ago. DMR-HWT130

ETA: Now £177 on Amazon.
Or you could go for the Panasonic DMR-HWT250EB for £250 with double the capacity and a few more bits.

Last edited:

Dr Death

War Hero
We have Sky.
Hope that helps.
But we hear your pain.

I have a panasonic box that works a treat. was about £240 sheets if I recall but that was 3-4 years ago. DMR-HWT130

ETA: Now £177 on Amazon.
Or you could go for the Panasonic DMR-HWT250EB for £250 with double the capacity and a few more bits.

Thanks for the tip. It's actually for my old man, who currently has my hateful Humax.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
Unless your local transmitter has moved the carrier group you will not need a new antenna. The radio frequency band for TV is sub divided into groups each containing several carrier waves and it is the carrier waves that the antenna has to match. My local transmitter is group B so it doesn't matter how much digital information is superimposed, modulated, onto the group B channels, my antenna is OK. The "You need a new digital antenna" line was just a con set up by installers preying on peoples' lack of knowledge. Many years ago, the Belmont Transmitter was all group A but they then decided to put CH5 on group D. In this case people had to get new wide band antennas to cover both groups but otherwise no change is required.

Yes, Freeview changes are a pain but don't be talked into stuff you don't need.

The latest Freeview channel update has just rendered my Freeview HD box useless. after the recent retune I've now lost over 35 channels including all the HD channels.

I should mention that I have a relatively old TV in the man cave which gets the HD signal through a cheap "Manhattan" HD box. It's worked fine until the latest retune.

I've been told that we will need a new ariel and I'll also have to replace the HD box.

What a fvcking con!

Other customers have been complaining about the same issue.

Freeview viewers complain of fewer channels after retune

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
After some fiddling and tweaking of the box with a new firmware update, it's finally working. Took about an hour to upload the new firmware and install via a network connection.

Then had to retune twice before it finally picked up all the channels.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a thread about the current retune here that may help New 700MHz Clearance dates announced for 12th August & 19th August
This may also be helpful, I moved house in 2016 and the TV reception was pants, the guy that runs the company was very helpful, it cost me about £35 for a new aerial from them, local cost was 'probably about £100 mate, have to put one up and see....'

Stinkhole

Clanker
Go with a Roku box. Dead simple, loads of channels on demand. Now thinking about Ditching SKY altogether as they are a bunch of robbing barstewards!

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you ever thought it might be easier to just not be a bloody little poor person?
I'm not poor because I don't give my money to the thieving barstewards at Sky / BT etc.

And I'm not that interested in TV other than a limited number of channels.

What a fvcking con!
That'll be your atmospherics for you. Re-scan for channels when the weather is different. :)

4(T)

LE
Slight thread hijack:

I don't watch TV at all myself, but I've just been setting up a nice (very large) 4K Samsung TV for wifey and MIL. They generally only watch Russian internet stuff, so the main terrestrial stuff is via Freeview.

Q: is it just me, or does Freeview broadcast its programmes at incredibly low resolution?

Every channel seems slightly blurry and out of focus, as if its 640x480 or something. I thought it was my eyesight, but pop a Bluray on and the TV image is sensational.

Q: is it just me, or does Freeview broadcast its programmes at incredibly low resolution?

Standard broadcast is at standard definition and then affected by the size of the digital channel (bandwidth) that the channel is paying for - the lower the bandwidth the fuzzier the image and the worse it gets if the broadcast has lots of movement (changes between each frame).

TamH70

MIA
Slight thread hijack:

I don't watch TV at all myself, but I've just been setting up a nice (very large) 4K Samsung TV for wifey and MIL. They generally only watch Russian internet stuff, so the main terrestrial stuff is via Freeview.

Every channel seems slightly blurry and out of focus, as if its 640x480 or something. I thought it was my eyesight, but pop a Bluray on and the TV image is sensational.

They broadcast programmes in very low resolution - less than 720p. According to some stuff I read on the web, it's about 576p, which is a bit pony. Drazyl's also right about the bandwidth thingy. You get what they pay for, and they pay as little as possible for what's basically what they call up here "Council Telly". If you want better quality viewing, you have to pay the extortionate price that Sky, Virgin and Talk Talk et al charge.