“White Mouse” has died - an obituary

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Emsav, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was announced this morning by the Royal British Legion - Central Brittany Branch that Nancy Wake has died aged 98, at a nursing home in London. Known to the German command as “White Mouse” because she was so elusive, a woman of exceptional courage and resourcefulness whose daring exploits saved the lives of hundreds of Allied personnel and helped bring the Nazi occupation of France to an end. She worked for British Special Operations and was parachuted into France in April 1944 before D-Day to deliver weapons to French Resistance fighters, becoming part of the Resistance, a courier and later a saboteur and spy - setting up escape routes and sabotaging German installations.

A comment attributed to her: “I killed a lot of Germans, and I am only sorry I didn't kill more."

She was awarded the highest honour my country could bestow on her, Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur; she also received Britain's George Medal, and the US Medal of Freedom. In 2004, she was made Companion of the Order of Australia.

It is expected she will be cremated and her ashes spread in Montluçon with full military honours, the scene of much of her heroism.

Reposer en paix ma amie.
  2. 3rd thread today Emsav! :)
  3. Rip bless her
  4. Impressive woman. RIP.
  5. Glad she was on our side! RIP.