‘Fearless’ Paras Earn Respect Of Local Population

British soldiers today marked a security success, by facilitating a district governor’s shura – a traditional Afghan public meeting – in the previously troubled town of Showal.

Paratroopers from A Company, 3rd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, along with their partners from the Afghan National Army, ensured security was safeguarded for District Governor Habibullah to speak to an audience of almost 250 local people.

Read the full story here

And see the photo gallery here

Good to hear.

Better to hear the paras are 'Always going forward' because from literature I have read from the current war in Afghanistan, alot of British contacts result in a withdrawal and no real ground being won. This is no fault of the men in my eyes, but the commanders.

On the note of the pictures, very ally ;)

Good to hear.

Better to hear the paras are 'Always going forward' because from literature I have read from the current war in Afghanistan, alot of British contacts result in a withdrawal and no real ground being won. This is no fault of the men in my eyes, but the commanders.

On the note of the pictures, very ally ;)
Really? I suggest you read a bit deeper then. 16 AA Bde are going great guns as you would expect, however they are building on hard won progress made by previous battlespace owners. Showal is in Nad e Ali - does Op Moshtarak ring a bell?

L

Lizard_Lips

Really? I suggest you read a bit deeper then. 16 AA Bde are going great guns as you would expect, however they are building on hard won progress made by previous battlespace owners. Showal is in Nad e Ali - does Op Moshtarak ring a bell?
A lot of Talibs have been arrested after some contacts because the Paras have continued to move forward during and after the firefights. Previous units would stand and fight but either not push on or instead head back in. Terry wasn't expecting the Reg to continue their push so sat down and had a cup of tea (or whatever) and in walk the Reg and round the c*nts up.

A lot of Talibs have been arrested after some contacts because the Paras have continued to move forward during and after the firefights. Previous units would stand and fight but either not push on or instead head back in. Terry wasn't expecting the Reg to continue their push so sat down and had a cup of tea (or whatever) and in walk the Reg and round the c*nts up.
Complete Horseshit. 16 AA are doing a great job, just like 4 Brigade and 11 Brigade before, the colour of your beret makes little difference, grow up.

I never meant to induce this sort of fanboyism - which is pathetic. What I was trying to say was, in your average contact, which is not involved in a deliberate offensive operation, such as Operation MOSHTARAK, it came across that some infantry regiments not associated with 16x would withdraw when the option of pushing on and killing the enemy was a viable option.

The other brigades did do a great job I agree, but I was simply giving an opinion.

I never meant to induce this sort of fanboyism - which is pathetic. What I was trying to say was, in your average contact, which is not involved in a deliberate offensive operation, such as Operation MOSHTARAK, it came across that some infantry regiments not associated with 16x would withdraw when the option of pushing on and killing the enemy was a viable option.

The other brigades did do a great job I agree, but I was simply giving an opinion.
An opinion which was 50% b0llocks and 50% carp.

Where did you get the idea that other units had not pushed on when neccesary? Worth noting, the option to push on may well present itself. But is it in keeping with the overall mission? IS the expansion sustainable?

Might also be worth noting that we now have greater troop concentration down south, now that MSQ and SGN have been handed over (SGN accounts for nearly 1/3 of all British deaths alone).

Fair enough, in terms of how certain elements may have reported previous TTPs (however incorrectly) but what is generally not reported is what each Bdes main effort has been. This, plus the mis-interpretation of "courageous restraint" by some ground commanders and the fact (already pointed out by other posters) that the Bde battlespace is unrecognisable from the one at the begginning of H11 (in terms of the drawdown from Musa Qala and Sangin and relatively sensible battle group boundaries) may give the impression that 16 Bde have come in and sorted out an area that 4 and 11 bdes had somehow neglected.

There are places I know very well that had almost no Coalition presence 18 months ago which are now almost under control (relatively speaking). This has only been possible because of the efforts made by previous battle groups. That said I definately welcome a bit of airborne billy big bollocks smash the place up shenanigans in certain areas - lets face it, Pashtuns respect Guys on the ground showing strength. 105's, mortars and fast air just piss off your average villager.

Fair enough, in terms of how certain elements may have reported previous TTPs (however incorrectly) but what is generally not reported is what each Bdes main effort has been. This, plus the mis-interpretation of "courageous restraint" by some ground commanders and the fact (already pointed out by other posters) that the Bde battlespace is unrecognisable from the one at the begginning of H11 (in terms of the drawdown from Musa Qala and Sangin and relatively sensible battle group boundaries) may give the impression that 16 Bde have come in and sorted out an area that 4 and 11 bdes had somehow neglected.

There are places I know very well that had almost no Coalition presence 18 months ago which are now almost under control (relatively speaking). This has only been possible because of the efforts made by previous battle groups. That said I definately welcome a bit of airborne billy big bollocks smash the place up shenanigans in certain areas - lets face it, Pashtuns respect Guys on the ground showing strength. 105's, mortars and fast air just piss off your average villager.
I Understand that other brigades do fantastic work and sort of set the scene for other brigades, and allow them to carry on the great work which they had done. Maybe the way previous brigades operations have been reported shows them in a different light, but to me personally, it seems as if 16x are going at it with a bit more aggression.

I'm not saying the airborne forces are any better, and I accept that maybe the brigades prior to 16x paved the way for a more aggressive approach over the winter period, as the Taliban do not fight as aggressively over winter months, so I have been told.

Maybe the brigade commanders intent was different 16x, a more aggressive, down on the ground approach, where others might have been different.

I accept your opinions, and realise that the reason 16x are doing what they are doing is due to the work of other brigades.

I Understand that other brigades do fantastic work and sort of set the scene for other brigades, and allow them to carry on the great work which they had done. Maybe the way previous brigades operations have been reported shows them in a different light, but to me personally, it seems as if 16x are going at it with a bit more aggression.

I'm not saying the airborne forces are any better, and I accept that maybe the brigades prior to 16x paved the way for a more aggressive approach over the winter period, as the Taliban do not fight as aggressively over winter months, so I have been told.

Maybe the brigade commanders intent was different 16x, a more aggressive, down on the ground approach, where others might have been different.

I accept your opinions, and realise that the reason 16x are doing what they are doing is due to the work of other brigades.
Stop ****ing grovelling to these Twats!!!

Im with 3 para in NDA (N) at the moment. The area has changed vastly since we arrived. Initially all PB's were taking shoots most days and all had areas in the immediate vicitinity of the PB which had not been patrolled in months. Same story everywhere from multiple commanders, 'they didnt go north', 'no go area', 'coy operation'. Several of the PB's were literally not patrolled from but just stagged on. We have the same number of troops in the area as the previous unit. The first 6-8 weeks we were here were still the tail end of the fighting season and all PB's patrolled aggressively into the areas we were told we couldnt- usually with only one multiple. this amounted to advance to contacts every day at section strength, which takes a bit of motivation. once in contact we suppressed with small arms, used ISTAR/ AH/ GMLRS precision strikes on insurgents then pushed forward onto FP's to exploit them, retrieving weapons, biometrics etc. If contacted again we would do the same again. The leadership from top down is aggressive and combatative. We have therefore been operating in a similar vain to SF in terms of building target packs through live feed ISTAR and exploiting them and targetting individuals ruthlessly. We have barely fired a mortar round and do not withdraw from contact unless clearly into immediate cover from a killing area. Coy operations have also played a part in this clearance. We have killed a huge amount of the enemy and have had no more than 5 civcas. The enemy were getting smashed every time they picked up a weapon. Since this opening aggressive work the insurgency in the area has been completely nullified and pushed right out into the desert to the north, with unprecendented success. i know that winter season is traidtionally quieter but the fact remains the system we have been employing will smash any attempts at OOA fighters attempting to move back into the area in a matter of days to weeks, lets hope the marines can pick up where we've left off- especially getting things right at coy ops room level and utilising the advanced ISTAR/assets we have now with a refusal to be bullied out of aggressive patrolling into tough areas, things are really improving out here. ANP and govt still dogshit but at least we're buying them some space to develope.

ps. and it is true about other units putting some 81 on them and withdrawing under this cover. lots of the locals have commented about how we're different and don't do this. like the area to my north the previous unit put a patrol into at platoon level, went about 100m forward came under contact, suppressed for a bit then came back. this gets you no where. its dispiriting for the blokes as you start taking casualties with no benefit. The only way round this is to sit tight and not withdraw and show the ******* that you're not for bullying and smash the **** out of them with AH with precision. then go forward. they bottom line is they cant handle this- it can be easy to overate them as you come under fire and can't ID a FP, you just need to have the confidence to see it as an opportunity to kill them, and stay out of the 'we're hunted' mentality which seems to have existed, certainly under some commanders.

i dont blame the blokes for this, we all know they'll man up and do watever they're told when the chips are down. but at low level multiple command level it does take some nerve to back yourself when you're fixed, frequently 360'd and know casualty would cause real dramas.

Coy commanders need to drive this by giving direct mission to junior commanders which force them to do this- this also helps them justify to their blokes why they're advancing to contact- its a tough and scary way to fight with so few blokes on patrol, but the alternative is to not patrol areas- which some junior commanders have been allowed to get away with. Our soldiers are hugely motivated to close with the enemy, and do so gladly even when the novelty has warn off and the reality, fear etc is understood. our junior commanders feed off their blokes and the regimental spirit and dont feel they need to make excuses to put their blokes in harms way. and there's no doubt about it, that offensive spirit has not always been carried so well by previous units in PB's where you're left very much to your own devices. But its utterly crucial for dominating ground with the thin dispersal of modern deployment.

Mucker. Threads in relation to how well 16AA Bde is doing on currents ops is pointless on ARRSE as everyone is an expert on the operational performance of Brigades and battalions. Even though most of them haven't been to Afghan and if they have, have never been at the sharp end. A few have but not many. Armchair warriors springs to mind.
Some units push out the FLET, some don't. Some push out the FLET and lose that ground again, some don't. Who really cares as long as the op bonus goes in the bank and you have all 4 limbs at the end of the tour to enjoy it. Afghanistan is a shithole and not worth our boys dying and being maimed for.

Mucker. Threads in relation to how well 16AA Bde is doing on currents ops is pointless on ARRSE as everyone is an expert on the operational performance of Brigades and battalions. Even though most of them haven't been to Afghan and if they have, have never been at the sharp end. A few have but not many. Armchair warriors springs to mind.
Some units push out the FLET, some don't. Some push out the FLET and lose that ground again, some don't. Who really cares as long as the op bonus goes in the bank and you have all 4 limbs at the end of the tour to enjoy it. Afghanistan is a shithole and not worth our boys dying and being maimed for.
Have you thought of a job in the diplomatic corps when your times up? :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Infantry 49
Red-On The NAAFI Bar 149
E Infantry 0