Year of Wonder

Year of Wonder

Author
Clemency Burton-Hill
ARRSE Rating
5 Mushroom Heads
The author is a musician, broadcaster and journalist, I know her from Radio 3 where she presents the Breakfast show, which I listen to occasionally. I originally asked for this as a Christmas present from the oldest child, thereby removing the need for him to think about. Needless to say I didn't get it and simply received a Waterstone's Gift card, so I had to go and get it myself.

The premise of this book is simple: a piece of classical music for every day of the year (and for the pedants out there; yes there is 366 pieces of music), with some background on the composer, reason why she's chosen it and the piece itself. The author's enthusiasm for music, both in general and classical music in particular, leaps off every page, from the introduction where she explains why she wrote this book to her descriptions of particular pieces of music.

It lays out each day with the title of the piece, the composer and then the reason why she has chosen this piece and interesting additional information about the song or composer. You can read through each day when you get it, or dip in and out as the fancy takes you, or go to important dates and see what piece has been chosen for your birthday, anniversary, child's birthday etc. The choice is yours and there's no right or wrong way to read this book. It has become one of my most treasured books and has opened up new music for me that I'd never listened to or even contemplated prior to this book entering my life.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. A beautiful book which I'm sure everyone will enjoy, only a Philistine would not enjoy it.

Author
CanteenCowboy
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from CanteenCowboy