ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

The True Soldier

Author Rating:
4/5,
  • Author:
    Paul Fraser Collard
    "This ain't the kind of war you are used to. It's brother against brother, countryman against countryman'

April, 1861. Jack Lark arrives in Boston as civil war storms across America.

A hardened soldier, Jack has always gone where he was ordered to go - and killed the enemy he was ordered to kill. But when he becomes a sergeant for the Union army, he realises that this conflict between North and South is different. Men are choosing to fight - and die - for a cause they believe in.

The people of Boston think it will take just one, great battle. But, with years of experience, Jack knows better. This is the beginning of something that will tear a country apart - and force Jack to see what he is truly fighting for."

Hurrah!the drought is over, here is a story that was both engaging and exciting. Jack Larks' latest adventure sees him in Boston fulfilling a promise and then making another to bodyguard one of Boston's high born sons during the coming civil war, and of course there is a woman who causes undesired complications to our battle worn hero on his way to the first great battle of the war .

After reviewing a spate of dull and dreary books it was pleasing to get my teeth stuck into this adventure. The True Soldier is a great barrack room or backpack read. In my day it was Edge, J T Edison et al; you can pick up this story after a day and get right into the thick of things immediately. I am certain that the soldier of today will have a number of Jack Larks in the lines. Rip Roaring story telling at its best, just two niggles, when describing the weapons I would have like a bit more detail like range, power, accuracy etc and the second was that I found a number of descriptions repeated such as " Jack turned his opponents sword / bayonet aside and with a twist stuck his sword in his throat ". Petty niggles but the later did turn the book a bit formulaic for my taste; if not for these I would have given it five instead of the four awarded. Please read this book if you like a rollicking good tale, after all have ever let you down? Four mushroom heads

AfghanAndy likes this.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!