The Scarlet Code.

The Scarlet Code.

Author
C.S Quinn.
ARRSE Rating
4 Mushroom Heads
Historical fiction has not really been on my reading list for many years, I find the real thing provides all of the incredible stories that I enjoy so much. C.S Quinn’s Scarlet Code was somewhat of a departure for me. What can I say? It was a very enjoyable departure.

I’ll be honest my knowledge of the French Revolution is largely culled from Carry On Don’t Lose Your Head. Mr Quinn uses the events of this Revolution as the dark background to weave his tale. This he does so convincingly that I found myself reaching for Google to research the actual events. Such was my interest piqued.

The tale itself? Well it would be easy to trot out some rather tired cliches about period dramas but I don’t think they really apply. The author has taken the central canvas of his story and painted his characters onto it in a masterful and convincing way. His development of the stories population is fantastic, colourful back stories and relationships help to create a great narrative into which he drops real life figures and events of the Revolution seamlessly.

The story takes intrigue and espionage adds a little flare, not a little action and shakes it all up into a great book. A little fanciful? No doubt, but that in no way detracts, it is after all a time of world shattering events, a bit of swashbuckling just helps them along. It would be remiss of me not to mention the authors talent for painting a picture with his writing, I could practically smell the sewage of the Paris slums.

Amazon product
Author
JINGO
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from JINGO