The Girl in the Spider's Web

Author Rating:
4/5,
Average User Rating:
4.5/5,
  • Author:
    David Lagercrantz
    'The Girl in the Spider's Web' by David Lagercrantz is a follow on to Stieg Larsson's incredibly successful Millennium Series (1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, 2. The Girl who played with Fire, 3. The Girl who kicked the Hornets' Nest). The original Millennium Series had been published posthumously after Larsson's death in 2004. In 2013 Larsson's publishers chose David Lagercrantz to continue the series. This book is the first of three commissioned.

For those who enjoyed the original series, you will be glad to know that this book continues to chart the trials and tribulations of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist. Lagercrantz has successfully imitated Larsson's writing style to such an extent that you would have no idea that it is written by a different author. Although you could pick this book up and enjoy it from a standing start (ie without having read the Millennium Series), you will get much more from it if you have read the originals. To be fair, Lagercrantz does insert some explanation of what came before to help out the novice but the subtleties would be missed.

Putting aside style, we should move straight to content. This book takes off at a sprint and doesn't let go throughout. The story line carries the reader along; I finished this book in a couple of evenings despite it being over 400 pages long. It is a compelling mix of plot continuation from the Millennium Series and fresh material (which is a relief as I had found the original books' story line had begun to drag a little by the third book). Although the book stands by itself, there are enough hooks to see where this series is going.

All in all, this is a superb homage to the original series: Lagercrantz has managed to carry seamlessly on where Larsson left off. I look forward to future installments over the coming years. A must-have for the Christmas wish list.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!
  1. Effendi
    I agree with the reviewer that the style of the original author has been duplicated and carried over very well. I enjoyed the original series immensely, was a tad suspicious when I saw this on the shelves thinking that it was a quick money making knock off, or continuation of a successful series. It is not. It is well written, well executed and harms the originals in no way whatsoever.

A damn good read, worth buying.
      Auld-Yin likes this.