MSR Dromedary Bag

• Having only seen the MSR Dromedary bags on the Internet and never in person, I was very keen to get my hands on one and test it for myself.

The idea behind them is to have a portable, lightweight and extremely durable water carriage device. The Dromedary comes in four different sizes, 2l, 4l, 6l and 10l. They are primarily designed for camping trips etc.

Obviously, they are similar to a jerry can in purpose. You fill them up with water and then use them to pour water into different containers. You can use them to drink from but they are somewhat awkward and are better suited as an interim storage device.
    The lid is described as a three-in-one type. You can unscrew the large top in order to fill it up. The large top is about 5cm across so plenty big enough for almost any tap or hose. On top of the large top there is a smaller screw top that can be used to fill up something like a Camelbak or a Jetboil. On top of the smaller screw top there is a small nozzle that is lifted up in order to allow water to flow through it. The nozzle is very thin – useful for when using the Dromedary to drink from or when a precise jet of water is needed. Washing dirt off something would be a prime example of a good use for the nozzle.

The Dromedary is very tough – constructed from 1000 and 500 denier Cordura. I’ve not been able to thoroughly test the Dromedary but when it was full of water I stood on it to no ill effect. I reckon it could easily survive being dropped several metres whilst full of water.

One potential weak point is that the Dromedary is constructed by putting two layers of Cordura together and sealing them. Whilst I’ve not experienced any problems, in the long term there is the potential for a seam to fail. However, if you treat the Dromedary with care and don’t willingly abuse it then it should last you a very long time.

There is webbing around the outside of the Dromedary which can be used to strap it to the outside of a pack/vehicle. I also managed to wear the Dromedary as a backpack when it was full of water but the straps dug into my shoulders and I wouldn’t want to wear it like that for a prolonged period.

A litre of water weighs a kilo (every day is a school day!); lacking proper weights the Dromedary could be used to exercise with in place of a dumbbell or similar. I also used it as a pillow when full of water! Whilst not really a patch on a real pillow, it would be better than nothing. It was quite cool which was nice, no turning over to get to the cold side of the pillow! I think that if it wasn’t completely full then it would be more comfortable still.

Overall, the Dromedary bags are a very sturdy set of water carriers. I’d highly recommend them for anyone who takes their outdoor adventuring seriously. An extremely lightweight alternative to a jerry can, much more portable (they can be rolled up to a very small size) and, if treated with care, just as hard wearing. I’ll definitely be getting myself some to take camping (I’ve got to return this one unfortunately!), they’re an invaluable way of staying hydrated.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!