• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Metcalfe Models Parish Church

Metcalfe Models Parish Church

ARRSE_Rating
5 Mushroom Heads
HO/OO Scale (1/76 scale) Pre-printed card and plain card

I left these models alone for a long time, thinking, "they're only for kids". How wrong was I? These are serious models which require a good study of instruction sheets and a sensible approach to building. The following are also required: A decent modelling knife and spare blades, metal rule, a good quality "fast-grab" glue (titebond II for instance), scissors, felt pens and patience.

The parish church is an interesting kit, taking about 12 hours from start to finish. The instructions cover four A4 sheets, easy to read and sensibly set out. Most of the pieces are "push-outs", requiring cutting at anchor points, from a master sheet, all numbered and the sheets lettered. There are also laser cut pieces for Lych Gates and a sheet of acetate Windows.

The kit is divided into seven separate units; The Tower, The Nave, The Chancel, The South aisle, The North Aisle, The Porch and The Lych Gate. Each unit is assembled separately and the fixed to the previous one. The modeller has some choices to make. The Tower can be built with or without corner turrets. Buttresses can be fixed to the tower front or not. There is a choice of two clock faces to use on the tower or it can be left unadorned. The Porch can be mounted at the doorway to either of the two aisles.

Fast-grab adhesive is especially useful while assembling some of the stabilising parts as there is little room to use clamps or other holding devices. I did find that a couple of good elastic bands come in useful for holding larger parts together. I also found a couple of small spring clamps useful when holding double thickness parts together.

The model is very satisfying to build and quite sturdy. You can feel it's robustness as you lift it, quite a solid lump. This is about the fifth or sixth model by Metcalfe that I have made, and I am still impressed with each one. Amongst them was a WWII Nissan hut, which I'm sure will have the small scale modellers scrabbling for diorama ideas. Most of these models are also available in N scale, which I understand to be about 1/87 (20mm).

Very impressed with the look of these kits and the prices. The church cost me £12.50 from e-bay! Most of the kits go from £8.00 to 18.00. The kits are easy to build with good clear instructions. All pieces are pre-cut with the exception of the acetate window sheets. These do require careful cutting. Overall, I think these are great little models as either stand alone or for use in dioramas.

Rating: 5 out of 5
Author
smeg-head
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from smeg-head