Master Lock - Smart Bluetooth Keybox & Padlock

Author Rating:
4/5,
Average User Rating:
4.3333334922791/5,
  • COMPETITION: You could win the padlock which retails for just shy of £80, just watch the video and post your answers in the comments below on this page!

Another video review! We're unstoppable! This is the Master Lock Smart Connected Padlock and Keybox, with Bluetooth functionality.

Master Lock are a well known company, providing a variety of padlocks, safes and other securing devices, all designed to make life as complex as possible for you when you lose your key and can't get in to what you need!
    It's an age old problem. We had keys, then we had combinations, both of which could be either lost or forgot. Master Lock have decided to drag those mechanical concepts into 2017 by introducing connectivity through Bluetooth into both the Master Lock Smart Connected Keybox and Smart Connected Padlock.

This might initially seem like an over-complication and perhaps an element of 'connectivity because we can', but after initial reservations, it really does pay off in a number of ways.

Both devices are controlled via a Smartphone App, but it's worth noting that they can also operate as perfectly functional basic units, without any app, though you lose all the features that make them interesting. With this app, you can access a variety of features designed to enhance the level of security provided by each unit.

The first key feature, is that with anything based on combinations, there is only one combination to open that unit. As soon as you share that combination, you lose that element of control and security unless you then change the combination again. With the Smart Connected range, you can actually set a number of different codes for different needs. There is the primary access code, which is yours and yours alone. On top of this you can create three other access codes that are permanent (unless you remove them), a number of guest codes, and then up to one years worth of time and date access codes.

This last feature is very powerful and has a number of uses. If you have the keybox for example and you have people who access your home, or you run an Air BnB, etc, you can send them the future code to access the box. This is because the box has a digital secure electronic key, and once synced to your phone, your phone has that same key. This lets it generate key codes in advance, for a date and a two hour window. This is an excellent feature that really takes the strain off of worrying about how many people know the code to your box.

The app also lets you check the history on any synced device, once you're within Bluetooth range. It lets you see when it was opened, who opened it if the code was linked to a name, and also any failed attempts, which is handy if you're unsure if someone's trying your box without your knowledge.

The padlock is the same, and is useful in scenarios again where shared access is required, to things such as tools in a workshop that are locked down, cabinets, etc.

Master Lock.jpg

Both units are robust, solid bits of kit and don't deviate from the Master Lock standard of quality and robustness, though neither are currently accredited under the Secure By Design system. They also both run off of CR123A batteries which can be hot swapped out to retain any relevant information, meaning your box should never fail on you - you'll get plenty of warning via the app.

It's important to highlight that it is only Bluetooth, not internet, so you must be in range of the kit for it to work, but it does make a difference to simple ease of use and peace of mind.

It's also worth shopping around, as there is no RRP on the kit so you can find wildly different prices, and www.safe.co.uk has it on sale for £124 - considerably more expensive than a standard Master Lock keybox, but it does bring that big increase in functionality which I personally feel is worth it. If you have for example, a sudden need to give someone access to your house and you're off-site, you can use your app to generate a code for the keybox which you can then remove access for once the job is done.

It's a peace of mind that standard systems where you have to share the only access method don't quite provide and with warranties that'll see you two years into the life of the product on a limited basis, you've also got that peace of mind for any technical failures.

It's a new concept, perhaps someone complicated with regards to elements of the app functionality, but for me, it works and works well. The big selling point is that regardless what happens to the app or Master Lock, the units will operate fine without, albeit only on the one master unlock code, just as a standard combination, which removes the risk of losing functionality through removal of any support from Master Lock.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!
  1. MrBane
    The winner is Gravelbelly with:

Well done. The lock will be sent tomorrow as I can't be fucked walking to the Post Office today. Also, you might want to bleach it. Just sayin'.
  2. napier
    Pick a winner already, this is taking longer than Brexit..
      MrBane likes this.
    1. MrBane
      'twas my own fault, as I ran the boot competition at the same time. I'll pick a winner now so I don't draw Master Lock's attention to the fact this has been a shit turnout. :D
      MrBane, Sep 14, 2017
  3. BoxKickerSubs
    I would use this to lock my shed, to keep my eldest boy from using my tools and not putting them back in their correct stowage's.
      wheelchairwarrier and MrBane like this.
  4. bill121koln
    I would use it to lock my fridge to keep the grandkids out as they're always rummaging around in there leaving the door open allowing both the dog to help herself and the perishables to commit suicide just as we want to use them.
    Although I do wish I'd thought along the same lines as "ulape".
      MrBane and wheelchairwarrier like this.
  5. ulape
    If I won the padlock, I'd lock Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn in a shipping container.

Two cnuts enter. No cnut leaves.
  6. Converted_lurker
    Jean-Claude Junkers drinks cabinet that we largely paid for.
      ulape and MrBane like this.
    1. MrBane
      It's a fine cabinet though. Lovely workmanship. Pity it's full of cheap European plonk and not Irn-Bru. That'd get Brexit sorted, mainly 'cos they'd want **** all to do with us after drinking that shite..
      MrBane, Sep 1, 2017
    2. ulape
      Contest fcuking over.
      ulape, Sep 2, 2017
  7. Gravelbelly
    Petrol pumps? Amnesty box at the ammunition compound?... Ooooh, I know!

...put one on the public telephone box, to keep it secure :p
      MrBane likes this.
    1. MrBane
      Can someone get this man his coat?
      MrBane, Sep 1, 2017
    2. MrBane
      I read through them all, this one got the biggest laugh, mainly 'cos I was an RSI and I got it, which made me feel quite smart. You win!
      MrBane, Sep 14, 2017
      Gravelbelly likes this.
  8. elovabloke
    I'd use it to lock up my arrse mug and keep it away from @Guns
      MrBane likes this.
    1. MrBane
      Sorry, it took me a few reads to realise there was 'mug' after 'arrse'.
      MrBane, Sep 1, 2017
  9. napier
    If I won the super duper Master Lock Smart Connected bluetooth padlock I would lock the car park change draw in my car, which my wife regularly plunders, leaving only 2p pieces. Seriously, what is that about? I load up with 10-15 quid's worth of useful coinage to cover any eventuality - a week later and it's down to the dregs. And she's got her own car FFS! I think she borrows mine once a week just to pinch my change. And don't even get me onto her harvesting loose change and notes out of my jeans when they go in the wash. She doesn't even show any embarrassment when I ask her where the hell all my change has gone. It's like she thinks I should be tipping her or something - it's not as if she's kept penniless and in rags, her car is newer and smarter than mine. Women. I'm half tempted to give Jarrod a call.
      MrBane likes this.
    1. MrBane
      I'm just as bad with that. Well... more that I'm Scottish and tight and thus never leave change lying around...
      MrBane, Sep 1, 2017
  10. Grownup_Rafbrat
    If I won it I would wonder why I needed it.
      tiger stacker and MrBane like this.
    1. MrBane
      It's like anything shiny. You'll find a use. I've been specifically fitting hasps around the house just to justify it. They're not actually connected to anything that opens, but it's nice wall art.
      MrBane, Aug 25, 2017