Less Than A Treason

• Author:
    Dana Stabenow
    Two thousand people go missing in Alaska every year. They vanish in the middle of mountain footraces, on fishing boats in the Bering Sea, on small planes in the Bush.

Now a geologist known for going walkabout with his rock hammer has disappeared from the Suulutaq Mine in the Park. Was it deliberate? An accident? Foul play? Native Aleut Private Investigator Kate Shugak may be the only person who can find out.

But for the fact that Kate, too, is now among the missing...

but unfortunately she turns up. I feel like the little boy in the Emperor's new clothes story; Ms Stabenow has had great successes with her books and this one had five star rating on Amazon, but for the life of me as much as I fought to read this book I failed in the end . It seemed to be a cross between Michael Pailin crossing Alaska and Twin Peaks.

157 pages later I was none the wiser, the first few chapters were like trying to memorize a phone book with all the cast of characters although I enjoyed the description of the small Alaskan town and the wild environment; but this book failed to hook me in the least.

I tried so hard knowing that I had to review it for you troops but I think if you have to wrestle a book, well its not one to recommend. If anyone out there has a different experience please let me know .

ps Mrs Bhp came to a similar conclusion only she gave up after three or four chapters - null punts.

AfghanAndy likes this.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!