Invasion 1982

Author Rating:
Average User Rating:
  • Author:
    Graham Bound
    This is a reprint by Pen & Sword of Bound’s 2002 book “Falkland Islanders at War” with new additional material recently released. . Most books to come out of the invasion of the Falkland Islands have concentrated on the military and naval side of the conflict. This book is different as it tells the story of the Islanders who had to stand by and watch events unfold and, certainly at the beginning of the affair, not knowing what the outcome would be.

The book is very scathing of the British government in the decades leading up to the invasion, especially in the years immediately prior to that event. The British Foreign Office had paid lip-service to the FI and their plight and, while denying Argentina’s claim to the islands, did very little to actually let Argentina know we were serious about keeping them British. The final straw being the withdrawal of the Arctic exploration Ship Endurance, which gave the Argentinean government the feeling that Britain was abandoning the islands.

Well, we all know what happened in the period April to June 1982, and while the book is certainly about that period it is about the Islanders and how they were treated and how they felt during the invasion and recovery stages. For instance, the Battle of Goose Green was a major event and is well covered in the book, but not by the tactics of the British nor the defence of the Argentinians but how the locals, herded together into a huge sheep-shed had to live and survive for several weeks, not knowing if a bomb would drop through the roof of the shed. The negotiations with the Argentinians and the reaction of the attack on how the civilians were treated – this is what the book is all about and it covers it brilliantly in my view.

It is very interesting to read military history from a non-military point of view; but civilians or not, the courage of the Islanders is not in doubt; ranging from the few Defence Volunteers who turned out when invaded to Islanders spread over the ground, cut off from Stanley but picking up information from their radios. The Island local radio broadcast was a God-send to the local population and used to pick up much of their information, as well the BBC World Service, although the BBC gave out possibly more than they should have at the time!

The Governor, Rex Hunt comes out of this very well, his handling of the situation, his dealings with the Argentinean commanders and his reassurance to the Islanders left them with a huge amount of respect from the Islanders.

This book is about a population in an enemy occupied territory and their plight. As such it must be an important addition to anyone interested in the Falklands conflict. Bound himself was very active as part of the “Resistance” which enabled him to put together such a comprehensive book. He is scrupulously fair in is reporting and has much to say about some of the very kind and cooperative Argentinians who did their best to help the Islanders under very difficult circumstances, this book is in no way a witch hunt post conflict.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this; I had not read the original, but I believe this edition has been updated using information not previously available but released by the government under the various age rules.

I enjoyed the book, it is very worthwhile and the loyalty to Britain of the Islanders shows through in all parts of the book and makes it more understandable why Britain should have sent a taskforce thousands of miles from one end of the Atlantic to the other to retake the Islands in the name of the Queen.

4/5 Mr Mushroomheads for a welcome addition to the FI conflict library.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!
  1. javaguzzisti
    1. The_Snail
      You've just tagged some poor random.
      The_Snail, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:56 AM
  2. The_Snail
    @BossHogg is next on the list to read it after me. My review will be IT IS GUD.

I'm not a woman of many words, but I will reluctantly send it on. Ta @Auld-Yin
      Auld-Yin likes this.
  3. Ninja-Penguin
    "Arctic exploration vessel Endeavour"?
    1. Auld-Yin
      You are quite correct and copy amended. Foolish error on my part!

HMS Endurance!
      Auld-Yin, Sep 20, 2016
  4. javaguzzisti
    Over Christmas of 1981 both the Observer Colour and Sunday Times Magazines had long full colour articles about how the FI were a lot closer to Argentina than the UK, the lighthouse code was M.A.L. for Malvinas and how the population could easily be moved to NZ. I can remember reading them and thinking, 'another slice of the Empire going'.
    We would have given the islands away if the Argentinians had waited so yes we were treating them very badly.
    I will have try this book.
      The_Snail and Ex Observer like this.
    1. Auld-Yin
      The Island Council, which admittedly is like a County Council, were treated very badly by the mandarins of Westminster. Whitehall did not come out of this debacle with any glory or respect.
      Auld-Yin, Sep 20, 2016
      The_Snail likes this.
    2. The_Snail
      Have you read it yet?
      The_Snail, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:41 PM