• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

How to Survive in the Wild.

Author
Sam Martin & Christian Casucci
ARRSE Rating
3 Mushroom Heads

I’m not going to lie, when I opened this book I was rather expecting an attempt at a definitive survival guide as per one of Lofty Wiseman’s worthy tomes. I’m afraid I was disappointed if I’m truly honest.

On first impressions the book contains a pretty standard array of survival advice that will be all to familiar to most that have spent even a reasonably short time in military service (here I exempt a large section of the RAF). Solar stills, basic shelters, fire lighting, and map reading. I was hoping for more in depth stuff and was disappointed.

Then I decided to ignore my first impressions and get on with reading the whole thing (I mean that’s what I get paid……. Well ok, get free books for). On further study the book is much more than I first assumed. It is not actually trying to be a definitive survival guide as such, the authors are American and the real slant of the book is actually more as a guide to living in the vast tracts of wilderness still open to the citizens of that Continent.

When read with that in mind, the book makes a lot more sense. The chapters on log cabin construction (with a plentiful supply of tools and plywood), start to fit into place. It is not really intended as a reference guide as to what to do when you have crawled out of a plane crash on a desert island. When viewed in this context the book is a much better read and full of useful advice for even the most casual of campers (or glampers as I believe some refer to themselves as).

Hard core survivalists might want to look elsewhere but for me, I’m happy to slip it into my Bergan in a plastic bag. You never know when you might need a few prompts for the old grey matter, and if nothing else it’s a ready supply of fire starting material.

Author
JINGO
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from JINGO