Haix Black Eagle Adventure 2.0 Low Shoes

Author Rating:
4.5/5,
Tags:
  • As many of you will be aware, our normal reviewer of footwear is Ravers who is currently challenging Imelda Marcos (old joke - look it up kids) for the quantities he owns. Although rumours of his imminent demise have been slightly exaggerated he’s still not up to the task anymore so that has given me the ideal excuse to take on the task of testing a pair of Haix Black Eagle Adventure 2.0 shoes in black/citrus.

The Black Eagle Adventures are designed to be a multifunctional outdoor shoe capable of dealing with whatever you decide to use them for. I thought I’d put this to the test so used them for a couple of mid distance runs (~5 miles) on varied terrain (tarmac and off road), my cycle to work and then for general weekend duties with the wife and kids. For the final push, I wore them orienteering through bog and bush across Dartmoor. So what are they like?

In essence they look like a pair of trainers with a few extra features that push them towards the sort of territory that you’d expect from a modern approach shoe, or similar. They’re lightweight and comfortable from the moment you start wearing them which is what you’d expect when you look at them. The very grippy sole works well on all terrains and is particularly good on damp rock. I also like the plastic protective toe cap but then I have a tendency to stub my toes when running up steps so suspect that others will not be quite so keen.

The Haix Black Eagle Adventure 2.0s are Goretex lined making them fully waterproof and breathable which is another feature that you wouldn’t expect to get in a pair of trainers. Obviously you aren’t going to be wading through deep streams in them but I found it to be effective for running through wet grass. Obviously not everyone likes breathable footwear so individuals will have their own views on whether this is a good idea or not.

Another marmite feature that seems to feature on a lot of Haix products is a lace pocket. In this case it is on the underside of the tongue which then velcros down on top of the laces. This is very effective at ensuring that laces don’t get caught, or come undone, and I found it an ergonomic improvement on the mesh pockets that appear on the side of the Haix Nepal boots.

The green and black styling will also divide opinion although I quite like the bold statement that it makes. There are a myriad of other colour options though so I’m sure most people will be able to find one that suits them.

So overall, I’m pretty impressed so no doubt you’d like to know how much a pair is going to set you back? Well £119.90 (online from Haix) is a significant outlay which I’m sure will put a lot of people off. What you’re getting though is very flexible footwear that will easily take cope with almost any environment you care to put them into. Having got mine filthy and soaking wet on the moors, they were back on weekend duties with the wife and kids once I managed to dry them!

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!