Grasshopper Simply Pop up Porridge

• Now it is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and never one to turn down a bit of scoff, I hopped at the chance to try grasshopper porridge to see what it was like.

The idea behind the hopper pots are quite simple and clever in the fact that they are light and compact and quite robust, and when you are ready for the food, you just remove the lid, add water and stir and then come back in a couple of minutes you have nice hot porridge.

The pot initially weighs in at 125g including the packaging and spoon, with the contents alone weighing in at 60g (according to the grasshopper website), so is nice and light and has a diameter of 8 ½ cm (around 3 ½ inches) and a height of 5cm (around 1 ¾ inches) and even comes with its own spoon. The pot is of a compressed corrugated type and once you remove the lid, the pot expands itself to around 7 cm (around 2 ¾ inches) and you can then pop the lid back on if you want to, if you wish to reseal it again for any reason, or just to keep the heat in when you add the water.

The idea is that once you have removed the lid, you merely add the hot water to around half way up the pot, give it a stir and then leave around three minutes after which your porridge is ready to eat. I have to say that I like the idea of the pot as it does seem very robust and I doubt would burst easily so you can easily chuck some of these in a bag and not have any concerns about finding the pots and their contents have become separated at some point to leave a mess all over your bag. The pots are entirely recyclable too, from the cardboard wrapper, through the plastic pot to even include the spoon.

The porridge itself, is actually quite nice and tasty and very easy to make to a consistent level as you merely need to add the water half way up the pot and all of the other measurements are already taken care of. These pots are not microwaveable so make sure that you only use it as directed by adding boiling water or you are going to find a nasty mess in your microwave. I have to say that it does claim on the packet to be the best tasting porridge that you have ever tasted and I am not sure that this actually the case, but all the same, it’s a decent enough porridge in its own right.

The downside of the porridge in my opinion is the quantity in that it’s not the biggest pot of porridge and I was still hungry after eating it. I suppose it’s always a trade-off between size/weight and quantity, but I for one feel that this could do with being a little larger as it’s more of a snack or child size portion, than an actual breakfast. I suspect that there may be one or two carp fishermen that read this and disagree, as it is probably ideal for someone sitting on a river bank, but I think if you are active, you will want something a little more.

Some may also view the cost another downside in that it’s currently for sale at £8.75 for six pots so this weighs in at around £1.48 a pot. All things considered, it’s not that expensive as you could easily pay more for a sandwich and if you have access to hot water, it’s going to be a lot more welcoming eating this as a snack on a cold day. I can also see the novelty value in this with kids as it is quite funky and colourful, so it might encourage them to eat something quite healthy.

In summary, this is an interesting, quirky product that is definitely going to have a market out there due to its uniqueness and also the fact that it is compact and robust. My personal view is that this should only be looked on more as a snack than anything else, as although I enjoyed the porridge, it just wasn’t quite enough to keep me going through to lunch time.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!