For Good Men to do Nothing

For Good Men to do Nothing

Author
Roland Ladley
ARRSE Rating
3 Mushroom Heads
Unlike my usual reading for the Arrse Literati, this book is a work of thriller fiction. It’s the fourth in a series of novels about Sam Green, a former Army Officer with a history of adventures working in secret services. Sort-of a female James Bond (ok he was in the Navy, but it’s similar!), but in the twenty-first Century rather than the 1950s and 1960s. This gives an opportunity to bring in lots of technology, geeks and rather improbable international communications (in fact, a lot like James Bond and the gadgets invented by ‘Q)’.

The story starts slowly, and sets out the various threads which are all going to combine in the final few chapters. I found this quite long-winded and nearly gave up, but I am glad I persevered, as after travelling between Europe, the USA, Venezuela and the Middle East, the threads came together in a thrilling, explosive and exciting finale.

There are some quite detailed descriptions of personal violence (ie beatings), which isn’t my idea of enjoyable reading, but I guess it was necessary to paint the bad guys as bad and the good guys as long-suffering. I didn’t really get to the point where I actually cared much about any of the characters. Other than one young man whose job was to fly a Reaper, his father and a young canoeist, all of whom were caught up in events beyond their comprehension, the characters had few endearing qualities. This didn’t stop me enjoying the way the plot strands came together, the action sequences and the finale, which left the opportunity for the fifth book in the series to appear on bookshelves soon. I shall probably read it. I’m now reading Tobias Smollett while I await Auld-Yin’s next offering.

Three mushroom heads – good to read for travelling of when taking a break from heavier stuff. Or on a journey.

Author
Grownup_Rafbrat
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Grownup_Rafbrat