Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Author
Graham Hurley
This tale is set in the dying days of the Second World War. A U-Boat carrying an odd cargo is wrecked on the Spanish coast and lost with all hands bar the commanding officer. Meanwhile in Los Alamos an ex-FBI man is, as a soldier, the chief investigator of security incidents, whose day starts with the apparent suicide of one of his (German) scientists.

For most of the book these two threads are followed separately and sequentially, changing protagonist about every two pages. Eventually the stories become connected and we head for the denouement and, as is required in decent thrillers, the twist.

It’s an enjoyable read. The writing is of sufficient quality that the constant skipping between narratives is not disruptive – indeed it probably heightens suspense which otherwise I found lacking. The descriptive passages are straightforward, as is the narrative. Which is fine, I guess. It’s more sophisticated than McNab or Clancy but somewhat short of John Le Carre or Len Deighton. Which is not a bad place to be. We meander happily along with the odd romantic involvement, fight and revelation on both sides of the Atlantic.

The plot is feasible, and the references to and inclusions of actual characters, such as Oppenheimer, entirely credible. I deduced the twist some time before the climax, therefore enjoying smug pleasure rather than breath-taking surprise – but pleasure it was.

I had not read any of the author’s work before. I am seeking out more.

Amazon product ASIN 1784977810
Author
Cynical
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cynical