ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Every Man a Menace by Patrick Hoffman.

Author Rating:
4.5/5,
  • Author:
    Patrick Hoffman.
    I rarely read fiction these days, the real world is usually far more bizarre and interesting, however I volunteered to look at this book for a change of pace. I am glad that I did.

I really enjoyed this book. It is written in a highly original style bringing together disparate threads and characters to paint a disturbing but sometimes beautifully illustrated story about a huge drug deal.

Hoffman is by trade a private investigator and it shows in the way he sheds light on the machinations used by the various characters to outmanoeuvre and gain ascendance in the murky world of Miamis ecstasy trade. Whilst the story does not particularly glory, or wallow in violence plastic sheeted flooring does seem to feature frequently.

The deal spans the globe and touches down in Miami, China, Burma, Thailand, and Israel. Each player in the game is dealt with from inside out and this gives an interesting perspective of their hopes, dreams, motivations, weakness, and strengths. Nobody is judged or sentenced, that is left to the reader.

It is interesting to note that it was not right until the very last chapter after the wheels had moved, within the wheels and finally the dust had settled did I review the title of the book and reach my conclusion.

In my humble opinion the whole book is a somewhat subtle ( or when you see it unsubtle) lesson in feminism. I hope that that those of you that those of you that choose to read it come back to me, even if it is just to confirm that I am not losing the plot. Please.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!