Book of Bones

Book of Bones

Author
John Connolly
ARRSE Rating
5 Mushroom Heads
A girl's body is found near the site of a ruined church, on the wild moors of Northumberland. Further south, another girl is found, buried under a Saxon burial mound, whilst to the east, a human skull lies. They are all sacrifices.

Meanwhile, in Mexico, Parker has arrived from Maine at the behest of his …….friend, SAC Ross of the FBI. Another body, another female but this one could be that of an old adversary, Pallida Mors. It was she who shot and wounded Parker's friend and helper, Louis. A score is to be settled by him. His life partner, the former burglar, Angel is slowly recovering from cancer and yet they will be there to help Parker no matter what.

The bodies in England are a message, a summons and something is coming, called by the Fractured Atlas. Parker and his friends must stop this, must prevent the chaos that will follow.

This is something a little different in the Parker series; most of it is set in England, with forays to Scotland and Amsterdam. It introduces new characters, for a while. The back story is familiar to any who have read previous novels, and if you haven't, then you should. There is less interaction between Parker and his daughters - both living and dead - but balanced by a very good story that features British police and their procedures in an investigation that parallels that of Parker, both leading toward the conclusion but with differing methods and mindset.
The lawyer, Quayle, is being sought and the question is; can Parker find him before it is too late?

I have to declare a bias here, I am a huge fan of this author, I pre-order his books and devour them, as I did with this one. Connolly writes excellent stories, his narratives are compelling and at times amusing but always thrilling. In this particular book I felt invested, purely because I knew well several of the locations and could picture them in my mind, but that is not a pre-requisite to enjoy this novel, just start reading and allow yourself to be immersed in a damn good tale.

A brilliant book, in my opinion, and by the same author who wrote one of the best books I have ever read, the superb 'He'.
Buy it, trust me. Aqua

Author
old_fat_and_hairy
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from old_fat_and_hairy