Author
Kevin F Kiley
ARRSE Rating
5 Mushroom Heads
Kevin F Kiley is a retired US Marine Corps artillery officer who has written a number of other books on Napoleonic artillery and generals. This book, though, is his magnus opus. It is exactly what it says on the cover - a dictionary of everything you need to know about the artillery during the Napoleonic Wars.

It is immense and, I have no doubt, will quickly become the definitive book on the subject, even if the subject is probably a little niche for the generalist military historian. As a serving Gunner officer, I found the book fascinating: a real insight into some of the more obscure gunnery terms, and a useful compendium of general artillery knowledge and short biographies of the key artillery personalities of the era. The book also covers engineering terms and characters as, it pains me to say, the other professional arm of the era. There are lots of really useful plates and illustrations, as well as an appendix listing the key artillery and engineer officers, and an appendix filled with tables covering just about all aspects of artillery. Finally there is a comprehensive (15 page) reading list which must contain pretty much every other book linked to Napoleonic artillery.

Arty 2.jpg

Although the book is expensive at £28 (from Pen & Sword), this book is a must for every well stocked military library and will be an invaluable aide-memoire for those leading Napoleonic battlefield studies.

Kevin F Kiley - from one Gunner officer to another, I salute you for your efforts. Semper Fi!

Amazon product
Author
Captain_Crusty
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Captain_Crusty