5.11 Tactical Rush 24 Daysack in Multicam

• I wasn't sure what to expect when the parcel from the nice folk at Intelligent Armour turned up; I have never come across 5.11 Tactical kit before and was interested to find out the quality and usability of the Rush 24 daysack. My first look and feel dispelled any concerns on the quality front; this is clearly a well made piece of kit, with top quality water-resistant 1050 denier Cordura, YKK zips, high impact plastic clips, heavyweight stitching and reinforcement in all the right places.

Daysack layout is a very personal matter, with some preferring drawstring and flap closure for reassurance/redundancy and others the full length zip for ease of access. The Rush 24 opts for the full length zip to allow full access to internal content, but concerns about zip failure are pretty minimal to be honest – the YKK zips are pretty bombproof and the large main compartment closure is backed up by clip on compression straps.

In addition to the main compartment, the daysack has a secondary organiser compartment on the front and a multitude of small to medium sized internal and external zipped compartments with all the useful features you could need (drinking bladder pocket, pen pockets, magazine pockets, key fob, pockets in pockets, antenna/drinking tube flaps – even a fleece-lined sunglasses pouch by the grab handle at the top). I only discovered the two full length side pouches after a couple of days of use. The only negative thing you might say (if you were picky) is that you might end up hunting for individual items if you haven't organised your kit layout,

The daysack is designed by SGM (Retd) Kyle E Lamb, late US SOF, all round hero and kit guru. It has been designed with field use in mind, with a number of thoughtful aspects to improve its utility. Most notable is the shoulder strap set up; rather than two straps fastened separately to the shoulder that are either too close together for comfortable wear with body armour, or too far apart and prone to slippage, the straps form a single unit with a U-shaped yoke at the top that sits comfortably around the lower neck area and holds firm on the shoulders with or without body armour, assisted by the well placed sternum straps.

The back is also very well thought out; top and bottom corners are reinforced to prevent wear from body armour ceramic plates, but there is a prominent channel allowing air to circulate if no body armour is worn. The back is stiffened by a semi-rigid plastic panel in a zip compartment accessible from the outside of the daysack; you can remove it if you want, but I can see no value in doing so (you can also fit a laptop in this compartment which, being accessible from the outside, means fewer delays at the airport).

The daysack is generously covered in molle straps, optimised for 5.11s own 'slickstick' molle, but completely compatible with issue tissue. These cover the sides of the main compartment, the front pouches and the shoulder straps so, should you wish to, you can tailor the daysack with additional pouches to suit your own needs. On the front are two velcro patches for the attachment of zap, name, DZ, etc. flashes.

So, is it a practical field daysack? It sits comfortably with PLCE belt kit and also Osprey. Despite the lack of a waist strap it doesn't bounce around much when doubling and there is provision to fit a belt, with two friction buckles adjacent to the lower shoulder strap fastenings. It is billed as suitable for 24-hour excursions and with dimensions of 20" H x 12" W x 7" D, it is capable enough for that if you are vehicle born. It is smaller than the current theatre issue daysack and for dismounted Infantry work I'd prefer something a tad larger, such as the Rush 72.

In summary, an excellently made, well thought out piece of kit. Ideal for all except dismounted close combat where, with the current demands of extra radio/ECM batteries, etc. you would probably want its big brother. At £90 its pretty cheap – I have the equivalent Camelbak daysack which is up to £50 more, and I much prefer the Rush.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!