1,234 QI Facts

Author Rating:
3/5,
Tags:
  • Author:
    The QI Team
    Love it or loathe it, QI has become a staple programme of the BBC and repeated endlessly on Dave. The format is simple and the scoring is inscrutable. Basically it is four members of the panel talking about ‘facts’ raised by the presenter, Stephen Fry, trying to bring in the most interesting fact or unknown story about the fact. Most of you will be extremely familiar with the format and as I say, it is a ‘Marmite’ type of programme. I think, understandably I am in the “like” faction and watch this whenever I can.

This particular book is very simple in its composition; there are one thousand, two hundred and thirty four Quite Interesting facts listed in the book; there is no explanation nor reason, just a bald statement of fact. The intro to the book starts off with a quote from Ludwig Wittgenstein – “The world is made up of facts, not things”. Whether you agree with that or not I leave up to you. An interesting claim is made by the authors in the intro that facts do not last forever. They give the example that in 100 years time the fact that a footballer is three times more likely to be bitten by Luis Suarez than a snake will be meaningless, however it is likely that bees will continue to have five eyes.

The book is pocket sized and can be snuck into any pub quiz quite easily, however as it is not clearly indexed one would have to remember the page each fact is on, so you would probably not need the book in the first place! There are indeed some gems in amongst the 1,234 QI facts such as in Old English the word ‘ears’ means ‘arse’so perhaps this site needs renaming! Here is one either for or against Scottish Nationalism, whichever side you are on: If Scotland left the union, the United Kingdom’s average rainfall would decrease by 8 inches!

So there you have it, a small book stuffed full of quite interesting facts, which you will probably never use again, but which would be useful to drop into conversations over the Christmas Pud.

However, the Team are wise enough to include a rider at the end, a quote from Aldous Huxley; “Facts are ventriloquists’ dummies. Sitting on a wise man’s knee they may be made to utter words of wisdom; elsewhere, they say nothing, or talk nonsense.”

3 Mr MRHs from me for a quite interesting book.

Auld Yin

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!