Book Reviews

I asked for this book for a couple of reasons. As a scale modeller the photos would come in handy for future projects and my great-uncle Charlie fought in the Western Desert, so it's a campaign I've always had an interest in. Like the other Images of war book I had about armour in the battles for Monte Cassino, it proved to be a very interesting read. The several chapters dealt briefly with the different phases of the campaign but had enough detail in them to keep one interested and give...
Following on from my first post, I recommend the following books for those either into Military Modelling or are just old vehicle petrol heads. Military Vehicle Data, Bellona publishing. Compiled by Mike Conniford The first is a collection of twenty-two, 20 paged pamphlets, about 9"x 6.5". Each double page spread contains b&w photos of the titled vehicle, 1/76 scale drawings, a brief summary of the vehicle and some technical information. While not over-detailed, they certainly...
This book was first published in 1985 (although still available through various book dealers on Amazon - see link below) and is a fascinating peek into a time when the British Army had 60,000 soldiers based in West Germany alone, and when 'Today another British soldier was killed in N.Ireland" was a common phrase for news presenters. I'm posting this review now, for no other reason than I have just re-read it and thought a new generation might find it of some interest. The author, Mr. Tony...
The events of 1962-67, sadly now remembered by few and at the time over-shadowed by the Cold War in Europe, were the culmination of 128 years of British involvement in Aden. “Acquired“ in 1839 due to the strategic demands of the Empire, Aden itself comprised a mere 75 square miles; it's hinterland, however, was vast covering more than 112,000 square miles. Situated at the southern end of the Red Sea and with a safe harbour, it was originally intended to be a coaling station for ships...

Latest Threads