Book Reviews

Review by Metellus Cimber II Gabriele Esposito is a prolific author and researcher, specializing in military history and uniforms. Armies of Ancient Italy will be of interest to classicists, historians (amateur and professional) and re-enactors. There are many books about the late Roman Republic, the Roman Empire, its rise, decline and fall. Some of these are contemporary accounts written by authors such as Sallust, Suetonius and Cicero. By contrast the Roman Monarchy and the early...

This book by Lee Fratantuono covers a period of Roman History and theatres of their wars with which I am not very familiar. It is an analysis of the various campaigns in Arabia and Mesopotamia from the year 25 to the fifth century. It's very well researched and full of references to other learned works, whilst being clear about the original sources of information and how reliable they are. It's probably aimed at the budding academic rather than the amateur reader, as there is so much...

The story of the 52nd of foot at Waterloo. - By Gareth Glover The Author is an Ex R.N. Officer who has studied the Napoleonic wars for over 40 years Writing any book about Waterloo is always going to place you above the parapet so to speak, So many books have been written on the subject, and many by former members of the regiments involved, ( with an obvious bias as you would expect) so the author has instead set out to obtain origional source material including the previously...

Paul Chrystal studied Latin and Greek at the University of Hull and then specialized in Latin Poetry for his MPhil at the University of Southampton. He is the author of numerous classical books, including Rome; Republic to Empire, Roman Military Disasters and Women at War in the Classical World. He has contributed, as a feature writer to the Daily Express, BBC History Magazine, Ad Familiares, Minerva, All about History, and is frequently on BBC Radio York, BBC Radio Tees, BBC Radio...

I have owned this book about three times at least, it's a book that gets "borrowed" and never seems to reappear. That in itself is probably all the recommendation it needs I suppose. It has been in print since1981 in various forms and updated editions. This is the 2012 edition republished in 2016. This is a lavishly illustrated must have book for anybody with the slightest interest in the period. The author and artist Peter Connolly is well known for his work in the ancient world. it covers...

Another book in the images of war series. This a totally new area for me, so I cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of this book, that said it seems very authoritative and I saw nothing glaringly wrong in it. As the title states, it covers a class of aircraft carriers with an amazing service life of almost 50 years. the book shows all aspects of the ship and is as is usual for this series full of excellent photos covering it from every angle. It also obviously has good coverage of...

Written by noted romantic David Charlwood, this is a light-hearted romp through one of the great unsung romances of the 20th Century, full of laughter, love and yes, a few tears. Okay, it isn’t. It is exactly what the title says, a record of the interactions between the greatest Statesman the UK has ever produced, and the man doomed to follow in his footsteps. What this book covers is those interactions and very little else, a useful filter when one considers the backdrop to their...

I must admit that when I received this book I though " oh God here's more pictures of tank, me on tank ,tank on fire , tank fallen over ,tank in snow etc etc " like so many other boring books of this nature. However I was absolutely pleasantly surprised and was taught very much by this story of the time-line of tanks in battle during WW2. The narrative was eminently readable and tactics detailed. This book also threw up two astounding issues for me one of which I shall record at the bottom...

The second in the latest series from Fabbri where. in the period following the death of Alexander the Great, his empire is splitting up, arguments starting between his acolytes all vying for the top job, or at least a good area to rule. People who were once great friends, comrades in arms and part of Alexander’s inner circle are now at each others’ throats in the struggle for power. On top of this is Alexander’s mother who is vicious and hungry for power. This book takes off from where the...

This is an interesting book - in many ways, to quote from ‘Note from the Editor’:- “The words you are about to read are almost exactly those of R K Doughty. … He dictated these words in 1979 to his wife Elanore who took them in shorthand. His daughter transcribed the shorthand notes to approximately what is presented here.” And “Since this manuscript is dated 1979, more than three decades after the war, it must have been composed with the aid of extensive diary notes.” I would add the...

This book is the story of the most prominent ground attack aircraft in use for the last forty years. The story of the gestation, development and use of the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II 'Warthog' Ground Attack Aircraft is told in detail. It includes a lot of detail from the competitions against other aircraft proposed for the role, serious detail about every component and tales from almost every operation and exercise. If you are into the A10 you will love this book- up to a...

This superb book describes how 809 Squadron (Sea Harrier) was reformed as an emergency measure in April 1982 at the start of the Falklands War. One RN senior pilot was tasked with finding enough serviceable aircraft and sufficiently qualified pilots (some on exchange in far-flung places) to cover attrition in 800 and 801 Squadrons during the war. In the event, 809 was formed, trained and transported south on the MV Atlantic Conveyor ready to start carrier-based front-line combat by mid May...

Andrew Field is a former British Army officer who has a fascination for the Napoleonic wars and has written various books on the Waterloo campaign from the French perspective. This is his second volume of eyewitness accounts on the Battle of Waterloo from the French perspective, with articles from those who served with the 2nd Corps, 6th Corps, Artillery, Imperial Guard and Medical services. His previous volume dealt with Napoleon, Imperial headquarters and 1st Corps. The book is set out...

‘Winston Churchill and the Art of Leadership’ is a new book by William Nester that explores how Churchill’s leadership style developed and was shaped by the different experiences through his life. Nester is a well published historian, who has several military history book awards to his name: that experience shines through here in what is both a well written and thought-provokingly fresh take on a popular subject. The book follows Churchill through his life from schoolboy to young adventurer...

Latest Threads