Templates are very powerful parts of the media wiki functionality. Currently there are two forms available on the site: templates and infoboxes.
- Generally templates go at the top or bottom of the page. Some examples can be seen below.
- Infoboxes tend to be used to place additional information at the right of the page.
I'd strongly advise anyone interested in developing either a template of an infobox to get stuck into the Media Wiki help page on the subject.
To include a template on a given page use the following code:
- 1 Creating
- 2 Using
- 3 Current Templates
- 3.1 Clean Up
- 3.2 Blocked User
- 3.3 Tables of Contents
- 3.4 Expansion Requests
- 3.5 Three Warnings Series
- 3.6 Permanent Block Message
- 3.7 Page Protection
- 3.8 Sock Puppet
- 3.9 Major Edit
- 3.10 The Dictionary
- 3.11 Edit Tags
- 3.12 Capbadge Specific tags
- 3.13 Ranks
- 3.14 A&SD Templates
The following are the templates currently in existence:
- Cleanup is used to depict to users that the containing page requires some attention, perhaps for formatting. This displays the following banner on the page:
- Blocked User is used to identify an ARRSEpedian who has been blocked by the Moderators or the site Admins as warranting removal or editing privileges. This displays the following banner on the page:
Tables of Contents
- TOC1 is used to simplify insertion of a Table of Contents into a page. This displays the following banner justified left:
|Top - 0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
- TOC2; a slightly expanded version of TOC1. This displays the following banner centralised in the centre of the screen:
- ListExp allows the Moderator's to highlight specific entries that require expansion. This template displays the following message:
- ArticleExp allows the SysOps to identify those pages which require substantial reworking or additional detail across edits, links and aliases.
- Stub is an alternative to the ArticleExp template.
Three Warnings Series
Used to warn users that their behaviour is out of order.
- 3RR1 is used as a First Warning by Moderator's against those users who are blatantly engaged in vandalising pages.
'Please refrain from undoing other people's edits repeatedly. If you continue, you may be blocked from editing Wikipedia under the three-revert rule, which states that nobody may revert an article to a previous version more than three times in 24 hours. (Note: this also means editing the page to reinsert an old edit. If the effect of your actions is to revert back, it qualifies as a revert.) Thank you.
- 3RR2 is used as a Second Warning by Moderator's against those users who are blatantly engaged in vandalising pages.
- 3RR3 is used as a Third Warning by Moderator's against those users who are blatantly engaged in vandalising pages.
Permanent Block Message
- PermaBlock to be used only by Moderator's after infractions of site rules have been repeatedly ignored. Best used in conjunction with the 'Warning' series of banners. This template places the following banner centralised on the page:
- ProtPage is to be used by Moderator's when they believe a page warrants special protection for various reasons. The template displays the following banner:
- Sock Puppet is to be used only in the most deserving and special of cases...
- Major Edit is used to notify other users that a substantial amount of editing is being conducted which may continue for some time. It displays the following banner:
- Used to draw attention to the Dictionary.
- 50E displays the following Infobox:
- 100E displays the following Infobox:
- 250E displays the following Infobox:
- 500E displays the following Infobox:
- 1000E displays the following Infobox:
- 1500E dispalys the following Infobox:
- 2000E displays the following Infobox:
- 2500E displays the following Infobox:
- 3000E displays the following Infobox:
- 4000E displays the following Infobox:
- 5000E displays the following Infobox:
- Infanteer displays the following Infobox. If people like them and want other designs, please let me know at my talk page.
See also Groupboxing for information on how to group lots of Infoboxes together neatly.
- Ranks; which has been inserted into all pages relating to rank, to provide an easy navigation bar.