The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home
Royal Tank Regiment
They claim to be seriously professional but it seems that they are just professionally serious.
New nickname - Chav Cav, The Peoples Cav or simply the Chavalry (although this is also used to describe the 9/12 Lancers). Tried to sue Warner Bros over the name "Men in Black", failed and had to pawn off half of the mess silver.
- 1 RTR - half of which is in the Joint CBRN Regiment, the other half (A Sqn) LWTC Warminster.
- 3 RTR - The Armoured Farmers, amalgamated with 2 RTR under Options For Change
- 4 RTR - Amalgamated with 1 RTR under Options For Change
Claims to Fame
Responsible for introduction into the British Army of:-
- The Beret - concept borrowed from the French "Chasseurs Alpins" who to this day wear a black bonnet you could land a Chinook on.
- The Tank - a device enabling one to cross mud, barbed-wire and trenches full of Germans without getting one's lovely braided jacket covered in bits of horse-flesh and shrapnel.
- Mechanisation - The Experimental Tank Brigade of 1927 was completely ignored by the War Office, but not by Berlin, apparently.
Nice enough bunch of blokes; wouldn't want my daughter marrying one though.
|HCR | QDG | RDG | Scots DG | QRH | 9/12 L | KRH | LD | QRL | RTR|