The Official Bit
Djibouti (Arabic: جيبوتي Jībūtī), officially the Republic of Djibouti, is a country in the Horn of Africa. It is bordered by Eritrea in the north, Ethiopia in the west and south, and Somalia in the southeast. The remainder of the border is formed by the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden at the east. Djibouti, which had an estimated 865,000 citizens in 2009, is one of the least populous countries in Africa. The predominant religion in Djibouti is Islam, with a 94% majority, with the remaining 6% practicing Christianity. In the 19th century, Djibouti, then known as French Somaliland, was acquired by France through various treaties with Somali sultans. It was declared an independent nation in 1977, and changed its name to the present day Republic of Djibouti. Djibouti joined the United Nations on September 20, 1977. While Djibouti is an independent state, it maintains deep French relations, and through various military and economic agreements with France, it receives continued security and economic assistance.
It's a dump. A foetid scab hanging off the anus of the world. The French influence helps it to make Basra look an ideal holiday destination, Somalia well run, and Riyadh a great place for a beer and some high-spirited wenching. Frankly, the best bit of the country is the NATO fuelling jetty - which stinks, is covered in slime and probably means you're on one of HM's War Canoes. 'Nuff said. Avoid like the plague which, interestingly enough, is endemic in the country (as is a nasty mutant form of TB ...)
Known places in Djibouti are Arta Plage and Lake Assal where there is enough salt for your chips: