The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home
King's Own Scottish Borderers
The regiment was formed in 1689 as the Earl of Leven's, or Edinburgh, Regiment of Foot until 1751 when it became the 25th (Edinburgh) Regiment of Foot. A further name change occured in 1782 whn the 25th somehow became the 25th (Sussex) Regiment of Foot.
1805 saw yet another change, this time to the 25th (King's Own Borderers) Regiment of Foot - named for King George III. The 'Sussex' title passed to 35th Foot. In 1870 the was again retitled, this time as the 25th (The York) Regiment of Foot (King's Own Borderers).
The Cardwell Reforms of 1881 saw the more familiar titling The King's Own Borderers following the dropping of the numeric regimental system and six years later the regiment was again retitled as the King's Own Scottish Borderers - reorganised as the county regiment of Berwickshire, Dumfries-shire, Roxburghshire, and Selkirkshire. Militia and infantry battalions of the Volunteer Force were also included in to the regiment's identity.
The KOSB were amalgamated with the Royal Scots, the Royal Highland Fusiliers, the Black Watch, The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
The 'Kosbies', the Bing Crosbies or Kids on Skate Boards.
Tartan: Government tartan was worn after 1882; Leslie tartan was authorised in 1898. Pipers wear Royal Stewart tartan kilts.
Honours & Awards
The KOSB webpage at army.mod.uk KOSB