1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

WWII pill boxes in France

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Drlligaf, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Drlligaf

Drlligaf Clanker MiA (Donor)

Whilst on leave in France I did a tour de battle field as is my want and in addition to the usual concrete bunkers that adorn the French coast line in Bretagne I found these pill boxes in and around St Malo, one had a date stamp of 1941 on the top. It would appear that somebody took a distinct disliking to these things and fired any thing and every thing at them from 50cal upwards. Not all rounds actually fully penetrated the approx 4 to 5" of steel, would not have liked to have been in them any way.

Attached Files:

• 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    • 071.jpg
      071.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • 077.jpg
      077.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
    • 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 082.jpg
      082.jpg
      File size:
      52.7 KB
      Views:
  2. What you are seeing is the handiwork of the Breton Resistance, of which my late father was a member. Another of their little games was to hurl German sentrys down wells and count the number of seconds before the splash!! The record for the number of Germans disposed of in this way is held by a lady from Karaez-Plougêr with a total of 37. Much of the damage caused to the German war machine was inflicted with improvised weapons by untrained paysants. Next time you come to visit us you should visit Musée de la Résistance Bretonne at Saint Marcel you will be intrigued by our ingenuity. The other advantage we had at that time was the Germans could not understand us - we do not speak French - confused the hell out of them. Their other problem was they could not comprehend our savage ferocity - to find out more about that visit the submarine pens at Señ Neñseir and see the damage we inflicted on them.
    AAGF and Manod Bach like this.
  3. seaweed

seaweed Clanker Book Reviewer

Are you saying the Bretons put up rather a better show than the rest of France? I can well believe it if my Cornish granny was anything to go by.
  4. llech

llech Clanker

Christ on a ******* bike! How dead did they want them Jerries?
  5. maccabonga

maccabonga Clanker

good wrestlers too
  6. Victorian_Major

Victorian_Major Clanker MiA (Donor)

Dare I say that all that damage smacks of later use as targetry?
    Goldbricker likes this.
  7. mildperil

mildperil Clanker

Bloody impressive, looks like someone's fired buckshot at a block of plasticene. Is that a lone pillbox or part of some sort of complex?
  8. llech

llech Clanker

Too be fair would you stag on there?
  9. Very much so, please do not confuse us with the rest of France we are a totally different race. We understand the "Cornish" language, many of us have close relations in Cornwall as we do in Wales and the Basque Country. Possibly that is why successive French governments have been very wary of us and try not to upset us. To say we are volatile would be an understatement, if we want something we get it - nothing stands in our way. The port at Rosko and the TGV service to St.Malou are cases in point, we wanted them and the government would not provide them, so we built our own port, bought our own trains and told the government to operate them.

Very dead...........

That is one of hundreds along the northern coast, they are all in a similar condition - some in an even worse state - blasted clean out the ground whilst the occupants were still in them. A particularly good example is the one on the cliff at Erquy.
    llech likes this.
  10. Goldbricker

Goldbricker Clanker

What caliber guns did you use for this? and where did you get those guns from.
  11. Goldbricker

Goldbricker Clanker

12. I will try to answer your question but you must respect the fact I was not around at the time and can only relay the stories told by my father and grandfather. The Bretons in the form of the "Sao Breiz"
    were the first to heed the call by Charles de Gaulle, sailing from small ports in Breizh to Plymouth to be trained by the British forces. On our forebearers return they brought with them weapons supplied by the UK forces, plus they manufactured improvised weaponary, much of which can be seen at the museum at Saint Marcel. Add to that the weaponary that was captured when they overran German positions and you will see that the weaponary was very varied. The improvisation we adopted would be described as "crazy" but it had the desired effect - home-made explosives were the order of the day, some of which were very unstable - we lost good men and women because of that problem. That is the best I can tell you without taking you on a guided tour of the museum.

Very strange!! The photograph is of an emplacement at St.Servan, very close to St.Malou, unfortunately the Americans did not liberate the town although they did lay siege, leaving the "free-French" to accept the surrender of the mad German commander (von Auchit)
  13. Drlligaf

They were all parts of different complexes, the best bit is to the west of the river/harbour in St Malo. In some cases the shots were obviously fired from the land side and that would appear to be someone having a bit of target practice
  14. Drlligaf

Do us a favour and please give me the positions of those pens and the museum, otherwise I will be spending hours poring over my maps!
  15. Drlligaf

This post is not quite meant to be serious, but those goddamn US Marines get everywhere. Manhole cover seen in St Malo:

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views: