1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

wording of commissioning certificate

Discussion in 'Officers' started by mph1977, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mph1977

mph1977 Clanker

i've recently got into a discussion with regard to the status or otherwise of St. John Ambulance officers, and are they 'commissioned'

while it's not a 'real ' commission in the sense of military commissions issued on behalf of HM the Queen

the text of the SJA commissioning certificate is

" By Order of His Royal Highness the Grand Prior
    I appoint you <name> to be an Officer in St. John Ambulance from the <day> day of <month > <year>

and I commission you to be
    <jobtitle> <unit name / county staff> <county>

I charge
    you to carry out the duties of that office and of any other office in St.
    John Ambulance you may hereafter be appointed, with diligence and loyalty to the Order, your Senior Officers and to those serving under you, in accordance with the regulations and orders of St. John Ambulance and in
    pursuance of the trust I hereby repose in you <signature of the chief
    Commander at that time> "

i would appreciate it if someone could either post or point via a link to the wording of HM forces commissioning certificates for comparison.

many thanks
  2. Daytona955

Daytona955 Crow

I wont regurgitate it as it would take me too long and its hanging in my bathroom but trust me, it bears no resemblance
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

In terms of status St John Ambulance is a civilian organisation and its officers are civilians. If working with the armed forces they may be given equivalent rank for the purposes of messing and accommodation.
  4. mph1977

mph1977 Clanker

did you actually read the question ?
  5. mwl946

mwl946 Clanker Good Egg (charities) Supporter - GCM

Elizabeth the second by the grace of god of the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland her other realms and territories head of the commonwealth defender of the faith.
    To our trusty and welbeloved.............(insert name) greeting!
    We, reposing especial trust and confidence in your loyalty courage and good conduct do by these presents, constitute and appoint you to be an officer in................... from .................(date). You are therefore confidently and diligently to discharge your duty as such in the rank of 2nd lieutenant or in such other rank as as we may from time to time hereafter be pleased to appoint you to, of which a notification will be made in the london gazette........................................................etc etc etc
    Given at our court at st james's............................(date) By her majesty's command.

Apologies for abbreviation and lack of upper case letters, but would have been here all day! Hope that gives you the jist and answers the original question!
    mwl946
  6. £sd

£sd Clanker

I have not seen a question until the one above!
  7. mph1977

mph1977 Clanker

from my original posting

i would appreciate it if someone could either post or point via a link to the wording of HM forces commissioning certificates for comparison.

mwl946 - thankyou very much for answering the query
  8. mwl946

My pleasure :D
  9. Filbert Fox

Filbert Fox Clanker Moderator

its not a question, its a request for direction.
  10. Dragstrip

Dragstrip Clanker

You've missed some significant stuff out in your quote. Most notably the bit that authorises command of subordinates and, most importantly, orders them to obey you:

..to exercise and well discipline in their duties such officers, men and women as may be placed under your orders from time to time and use your best endeavours to keep them in good order and discipline.
    And we do hereby Command them to Obey you as their superior Officer, and you to observe and follow...

etc
  11. mwl946

I know dragstrip, that's why i apologised for abbreviation. I d have been here all day if I'd typed out the whole certificate! (Lazy mare)
  12. Dragstrip

Dragstrip Clanker

Its suprising I think that many people are not aware of the wider implications of the text.
  13. mwl946

Mea culpa - will type it out in full next time to prevent any mis-understanding
  14. Back_at_RD

Back_at_RD Clanker

MPH,
    It's a small point, but one which niggled at me throughout the thread. An officer's commission is known as just that. Their commission; it's not known as a certificate, that has overtures of swimming awards and all that.

Not a dig, just to put you in the picture for future reference.